Friday, March 11, 2011

Kielbasa and Red Beans from halfmysize.com

I had this cookbook laying open on my cupboard, so I would have a reminder to make the casserole recipe on this same page.

It was lunchtime and I didn't have any leftovers when I saw this recipe...just tempting me to try it.

So I threw it together and we really enjoyed it.



Reminded me of the time we enjoyed chili over rice while on the beach in Hawaii 28 years ago this week - when we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary. 

AAAHHHH - Sweet memories!!!!!!!

I appreciate that this cookbook gives nutritional info so you can fit it into the eating plan you're trying to follow.

Hope you'll enjoy it one day soon - we think it's delicious and will enjoy this simple dish again soon.

I used peach salsa and brown rice, because that's what I had on hand, but of course, you have that option to use what YOU have....

KIELBASA AND RED BEANS
(From halfmysize.com and The Better Baker)

1 - 14 ozs. pkg. smoked turkey sausage, sliced into 1/2" pieces
nonstick cooking spray
1 sm. onion, sliced or chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 - 15 ozs. can kidney beans, drained
1 c. salsa
(the peach salsa worked its 'magic' in this dish)
Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
Dash of hot sauce, optional

Spray medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.  Saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes, until softened but not mushy.  Add smoked sausage; stir and cook sausage for 2 minutes.  Add beans, salsa, spices and hot sauce.  Just before it boils, lower heat;cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.  Serve over rice, if desired.  Serves 4

I didn't add salt or pepper while cooking, but added fresh ground pepper to the top when serving.

Nutritional info per serving: (doesn't include rice) Calories: 257; Fat: 5.3 gr., Fiber 4.3 gr.  


4 comments :

  1. Mmmmm! This looks good! I love kielbasa! Great photo Marsha! Have a great weekend my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites...red beans and rice. This sounds amazing, and made with turkey sausage, even better...Yummm-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. It's 11pm and I could eat a plate of that right now!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly