Thursday, September 1, 2011

Rhubarb Streusel Muffins

If you like rhubarb, you are going to want to try these delicious muffins!

Don't tell my hubby, but I really do have a love affair going on with muffins...somehow, they can often feel/taste like 'dessert' to me without a lot of calories.

I love everything bite sized too...anything I can walk around and eat, since I'm normally on the go.

I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine passed on to me.

I made a few changes to 'lighten' them, and they were oh so delicious. 

I gave half of them away or they would have been gone within 2 days.

The crunchy topping makes these extra special...similar to a coffee cake.

Trust me...they were perfect with my morning coffee! (Or my coffee was perfect with them?!)


I filled the muffin cups 3/4 full, then sprinkled the topping over them.



RHUBARB STREUSEL MUFFINS
(From The Better Baker)
 
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (I substituted Splenda)
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour (I replaced 1 c. with whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (used Lite)
3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed

TOPPING:

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cold butter

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.

Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.

(Because I used Splenda, they baked a little faster - I baked mine for about 17 minutes - be sure to check so they don't overbake...all ovens are different).

Linked to Tea Party Tuesday
                   Wonka Wednesday
            Breakfast Ideas Monday







3 comments :

  1. Rhubarb is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with. These muffins look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb recipes! These look great, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE STILL NEVER TRIED RHUBARB-CAN U IMAGINE???????????????? MAYBE I SHOULD START WITH THESE!!! THANKS 4 HARING AT WONKA WEDNESDAY!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly