Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chocolate Chai Drink

I've been a lover of chai for years...my daughter Deb introduced me to it years ago.

Since then, I've introduced it to a number of others as too, who have shared it with others as well...

So on...and so forth!

It's a wonderful Indian drink (tea) that is creamy, spicy, and sweet.


Daughter Deb did "12 Days of Chocolate" posts at her blog for Valentine's Day and this was one of the wonderful recipes she shared.

Now I have to admit...I prefer the raspberry or spice chai, but I do love the chocolate as well.  I think the cardamom 'makes' this drink what it is...and what I love.

So if you've never tried chai before, here ya go...spread your wings and enjoy something new.  It's wonderful, warming and satisfying.

And if you've enjoyed chai from a mix, try making it yourself from scratch.  It's oh so good!


CHOCOLATE CHAI

1 cup water
2 tsp. black tea or 2 black tea bags
1/3 c. sugar or sweetener
1/4 c. dark cocoa or Dutch-process style unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
whipped cream for garnish
nutmeg for garnish

In small saucepan, bring water to boil.  Remove from heat and add tea.  Cover and steep for about 5 minutes.  Remove tea bags and pour or strain tea into large saucepan.  Add sugar and cocoa powder to tea in large saucepan.  Stir to dissolve.

Mix cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in bowl. Add to liquid; heat and stir.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat.  Stir in milk and vanilla until heated through. Do not allow to boil.  Remove from heat.  Pour into waiting mugs and top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

(If you prefer, you could strain the tea before drinking.  I don't mind the spices floating on the top, but if you do, then strain it first.)



2 comments :

  1. I don't think I've ever tried Chai. Looks yummy, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chai tea.. and I LOVE chocolate..so this looks like a marriage made in heaven :) now onto trying to find cardamon..

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly