Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie



Do you ever want to try something different than the usual/every day recipe you always make?

Maybe one that's been in your family for a while, and everyone loves it, but you want a change anyway?  

I do that often (cause I LOOOOVE trying new recipes!)...and that's what happened with this recipe.


I have a wonderfully easy & delicious rhubarb cream pie recipe in my cookbook and I've made it for years.

But this time I wanted a change, so I googled it and found something yummy sounding at allrecipes.com.   I made a few additions to the topping. 

This not only had a yummy crumb topping, (similar to what my mama use to put on her dutch apple pies!) it also had sour cream in the pie itself, so I tried it and was I ever glad I did!!!!

It's definitely a KEEPER!





SOUR CREAM RHUBARB PIE 

  • 1 cup sugar
  • (I used half xylitol)
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • (I used lite)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell

  • TOPPING:
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel. optional
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 
  • 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine 
  • 1/3 c. chopped nuts 

  • In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat in the sour cream and egg. Gently fold in the rhubarb. Pour into pastry shell.

  • Topping: In small bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, orange peel and cinnamon.. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over the filling. 

  • Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Cool. Refrigerate leftovers.



7 comments :

  1. I made this exact pie from All Recipes and loved every bite. I'm not a pie maker, but I was pleased with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've always wanted to try a sour cream rhubarb pie, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm going to have to move it up on the "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I not make this when it contains two of my favorite foods-rhubarb and sour cream. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been collecting rhubarb recipes this week and like the sound of this one a lot. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking it to my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe has my name written all over it:) Yum! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this before, I love it! Pinning this and will be making it, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly