Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blueberry Banana Flaxseed Smoothie

If you didn't already realize it...I LOOOVE SMOOTHIES! 

And during this hot hot summer, I have been enjoying many. 

We have them for breakfast often because sometimes our tummies just aren't ready for hot food.  And they're quick...just toss everything into the blender and turn it on! 

Smoothies can be very healthy also - I always use skim ( or almond) milk, yogurt and fruit of choice, and Hubs and I both enjoy them. 

I really loved the addition of almond extract to this flavor combo. 

So when I saw this one at The Foodie Physician - adding flaxseed (which I do when I think of it!) and two of my favorite fruits...why of course, I had to try it.  It was smooth and delicious!

She also has some great info about flaxseed...this is one brief paragraph from all the info shared there...

Flaxseed is high in protein and can be sprinkled on many foods like yogurt or oatmeal.  It also can be stirred into hot soups, stews and pasta sauces.  It can even be used in baking and can be incorporated into cakes, cookies and muffins.  It’s also a great addition to smoothies to add extra fiber and protein.  To reap all of the health benefits of flaxseed, it’s recommended that you eat 1-2 tablespoons a day.   

So give this a try - you won't be sorry. 

HERE'S TO A HEALTHIER LIFESTYLE!!


BLUEBERRY BANANA FLAXSEED SMOOTHIE
  (2 servings)

2 TB. whole flaxseed
(I used 2 TB. flax seed meal)
1 ripe banana*
1 c. blueberries
1/2 c. fat free Greek Yogurt
3/4 c. skim milk
(I used 1 cup)
1 TB. honey
1/4 tsp. almond extract
6 ice cubes

Place the flaxseed in a blender and blend until it is ground fine.  Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  Garnish with blueberries. 

*I keep banana slices frozen ready to add to great recipes like this one. 

Linked to Thursdays Treasures
       Weekend Potluck
          Mop it up Monday
        Meal Plan Monday

4 comments :

  1. I love blueberries and think this smoothie has an awesome presentation. Love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies are the best! I love the addition of flaxseed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a perfect way to start ANY morning let alone those when i am needing to run more than 5 miles. I will for sure be whipping some up! Thanks Pretty Lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that you tried and liked my recipe! Your photo is lovely, thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly