Tuesday, August 28, 2012

7-Layer Lettuce Salad

I am not a big salad lover, but I can make this up and eat it every day until it's gone.

It's so delicious and simple.  I love that you make it ahead too. It keeps nicely several days - as long as you don't mix it. 

I prefer mine with lots of eggs, but that's your option.  I so love the flavors of bacon and eggs together too. 

Add whatever your family likes best.  Water chestnuts would be great for crunch. 
Or you could add some black beans for fiber sake. 


7-LAYER LETTUCE SALAD

1 sm. head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces 
(or romaine)
1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped green or red bell pepper, optional 
1/4 - 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1-1/2 c. frozen green peas
(I run cold water over them in a colander to break apart....
they will thaw in the fridge) 
2 c. mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
2 Tb. sugar (or splenda)
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
2 - 3 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 c. shredded cheddar or co-jack cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 
(I used turkey bacon)

In large shallow bowl or 9" X 13" X 2" dish, layer lettuce, celery, bell pepper, onion and peas in order listed.  Combine the mayo, sugar and salt. Spoon over the lettuce mixture, spreading evenly over all. (I like to mix the peas with the mayo mixture). Sprinkle with eggs, cheese, then with bacon.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Linked to Weekend Potluck

3 comments :

  1. Wow! I never saw this kind of salad before. It looks delish! I love your photo collage, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother always made this salad. Her only addition was tiny cubes of cheddar cheese. Mmmmmm. Love it! Simple and delicious.

    regards,
    jennifer of Sandy Bridge Xeon

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly