Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cheesey Mini Meatloaves (Make Ahead)




I love meatloaf!  

I'm not a big meat eater, and if we are eating out and there's meatloaf on the buffet, you can be sure I will be enjoying the meatloaf.  

When my hubby returned home from his third tour of Vietnam, meatloaf was the first dish he requested from his mama. 

It's great to have similar tastes, and this is my favorite recipe for making it.  This recipe comes from my good blogging buddy, Jane Doiron's, MAKE AHEAD MEALS FOR BUSY MOMS cookbook. Jane was the first blogger I really connected with years ago and she still holds a special place in my heart.  She was very helpful with getting my Facebook page set up  & helping me add blog gadgets too. 

The directions below include making ahead & freezing the meatloaf for a quick meal later.  I've also made this recipe a couple of times while visiting my daughter and made it into meatballs for her freezer. 

We love cheese in our meatloaf, so I've added small chunks of Velveeta before baking. (though I've not added the cheese if I'm going to freeze it first)

My mom always made the ketchup/brown sugar glaze on meatloaf when I was growing up, so of course, I am partial to having that topping too.  Hubby isn't, so in making these in mini loaf pans, I can have my sauce and he doesn't have to. 

WORKS FOR US! 




CHEESEY MINI MEATLOAVES

2 lbs. lean ground beef

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. dried minced onion

1 clove of garlic, minced

1/2 cup Italian-style or garlic & herb bread crumbs

1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

1/2 c. ketchup

1 large egg

2 - 3 ozs. Velveeta, cut into small chunks, optional


Optional Sauce:
1/4 c. ketchup
2 Tb. light brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard

~A Day Ahead~

In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, cheese, ketchup, egg and Velveeta.  Press the mixture evenly into four 3" X 5" X 2" mini loaf foil pans.  Cover and refrigerate.

~Cooking Directions~

Remove the meatloaves from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.  Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered, for 45 minutes.  Combine the sauce ingredients and brush on top of the loaves if desired.  Bake for 10 more minutes.

(If using muffin size, they will cook faster than that).

~Freezer Directions~

Wrap the uncooked meatloaves (without the sauce on top) in plastic wrap and place in labeled freezer bags.  Freeze up to 3 months.

Thaw the meatloaves in the refrigerator 24 hours before heating.  Bake as directed.


Linked to Weekend Potluck

3 comments :


  1. Your recipe sounds great! =)
    Im not a big meat eater either..but
    l*o*ve* meatloaf!!

    Im going to pin your recipe to try soon, ( and I love the glaze on the top too! ) =)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I Love making individual size meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love meatloaf and with cheese...even better!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly