Sunday, July 21, 2013

Homemade Iced Coffee (from Homemade Concentrate)

I LOVE coffee...and LOVE iced coffees too!  So...

I was so happy to see this cool (pun intended!) recipe from Tina at Mommy's Kitchen.

I have NO clue how I could have missed it as she originally posted it in July 2009
and I consider myself to be a 'frequent flyer' at her lovely blog. (Must have been a post before I began following her?)

The 'Golden Arches' will sometimes sell their iced coffees for $1.00 and you can be sure I will get a few at that price.  I normally ask for nonfat milk and sweetener.

NOW I can make my own...and the process is very intriguing. 
And the price is right for sure!!


After I'd made the first batch, I remembered I had several packets of flavored coffees in the cupboard, that hubby doesn't care for. When my daughter comes for a visit, she and I enjoy sharing flavored coffees and creamers, so now I can use up these yummy coffees and enjoy them all to myself!!!

(& I already had this post scheduled before I knew she would be coming today for a visit with her family!  We are going to be enjoying some Kona iced coffees while she's here!) 

My sweet hubby is the coffee maker in our family (the old joke is...we do coffee the
spiritual way...HE BREWS!=)  He is even special enough to fix my cup every morning too!!  What a gem he is.  Coffee always tastes better when shared with him....and the first few sips of the morning coffee really make my day. 

But after I've had one cup of hot coffee, I look forward to some cooling drinks during the day, and this one has become a fast favorite!

And this cold 'brewing' process doesn't bring out the bitterness that sometimes that hot brewing does.  This is easier on the stomach. 



After 'brewing' the grounds in a jar on the counter for several hours, the concentrate keeps up to a month in the refrigerator.  Isn't that just interesting???

Oh I am going through this stuff fast!!! 


HOMEMADE ICED COFFEE 
(with Homemade Concentrate) 

1 c. ground coffee (flavored, or not)
1 qt. sized mason jar
water
strainer
2 large coffee filters
gourmet flavored syrup, optional
(I love Torani caramel) 
sweetener (I prefer liquid stevia)
milk of choice 
(I used half 1% and the other half...fat free 1/2 & 1/2 for creaminess) 
ice cubes

Put the coffee grounds into the jar; fill with cold water. Cover and let stand on the counter for 12 - 15 hours.  Place the coffee filter inside the strainer; be sure to shake the jar first, then pour about half the mixture into the filter...slowly. Let it stand until strained. Remove that filter and add second; repeat the process with second half of mixture. 

To make iced coffee: Place equal parts concentrate and milk in glass.  Add as much ice as you'd like. Add flavoring and/or sweetener, to taste. 

To make hot coffee; use the same proportions, but instead of adding ice, add equal parts of water, then heat. 

This amazing concentrate keeps up to a month in the refrigerator!!

You're Welcome!  *-* 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday 
Weekend Potluck 
Full Plate Thursday




8 comments :

  1. I am looking forward to trying this! I found coffee syrups for sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond and SAMs Club recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer coffee made this way, "brewed" at room temperature and got rid of my coffee maker long ago. Yay for one less appliance! Iced coffee is oh so delicious and refreshing in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of your dear hubby to make your coffe every morning, Marsha. He is a gem! The iced coffee sounds great and I'm happy that you and your daughter enjoy it together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marsha,

    This is almost the same way "The Pioneer Woman" makes it, only she does a larger quantity. She also has a Vietnam version where you add a spoon of sweetened condensed milk, and oh my that makes it heavenly. I sometimes add a tablespoon of "Cafe de Vita" coffee mix I buy from Costco. It gives it a slight chocolate flavor. Sometimes I add a bit of hot chocolate mix to it, although it takes longer to dissolve so is best to add before you add the ice. And then the flavored creamers can take it to a totally new level. There is just so much you can do with it once you have learned how to make the coffee just right.

    Thank you for giving your proportions to make a smaller quantity. Plus I have read you can make it in a French Press if you have one, just press the screen down after it brews.

    I have wondered if the coffee could be made in a "Sun Tea" container and sit in the sun for a few hours. Not sure what it would do to the flavor or the acidity level which is kept low when the coffee is cold brewed. I guess I will have to try it. I am not a hot coffee drinker but love Iced Coffee.

    Thanks again for sharing this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried brewing the coffee in the sun and found it made it a little bitter, like brewed coffee sometimes is. Just letting it sit at room temp is the way to go!

    KLO

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day! Wish I could come through the screen as could go for an iced coffee right now; viewing as part of Food Friends Friday Party too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love iced coffees and especially when they are made with cold press coffee. I think I like it better this way then hot coffee. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and this is my host favorite for the week. It will be featured on the Daily Dish Magazine on Monday and then on next week's party on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly