Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Microwave Pecan Pie

Just wanted to let you know I've updated my Facebook page in prepping for release of my second cookbook...LOVE AT FIRST BITE.   As a FB fan, you don't have to do anything different, just wanted you to be aware my page is now "The Better Baker Blog & Cookbooks".  New cookbook should be arriving in about 3 weeks.  WOOOHOOO!!  

YES!  It's true!  It's possible to make a perfect! pecan pie in the microwave.
NO.OVEN.REQUIRED!


Now I know there are controversies about using a microwave...but we all have to make our own choices, don't we?

And if you are prone to using one, here's a simple recipe you can make in a hurry.

And you don't even have to turn the oven on!  WOWZERS! 
Well, except.... 

You bake the pie crust in the oven first, and in just 8 - 9 minutes, in most microwaves, you have a delicious and tasty pie on your hands...and in your belly soon after.  

A friend gave me this recipe a long time ago and while cleaning out stacks of printed recipes, when I saw this one again, I HAD to try it.

I wasn't at all disappointed either.  A.MA.ZING!!

(This is an OLD recipe...the most common wattage back when it was printed was probably about 700 watts.  My microwave is 1500 watts. I baked my pie for 9 minutes and thought it was near perfect.  But am thinking next time I will cook it 8-1/2 minutes so it will be just a bit 'sticky')

Just watch it bubble and when you can tell it's getting 'drier' test it...remembering it will continue cooking for a little bit after it's removed from microwave.  You can always add more time if you think it's needed.

 

MICROWAVE PECAN PIE

1 - 9" baked pie crust, room temperature
1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
3 eggs
1 c. (dark) corn syrup
(I used half light corn syrup and half agave nectar)
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
(I love the brown sugar substitute Sukrin gold - uses equal amounts)
1 Tb. all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. pecan halves or 1 c. pieces

Place butter in large glass mixing bowl.  Microwave on high 40 - 50 seconds to melt.  Cool just a few minutes; add eggs, quickly whisking to mix well.  Add corn syrup, brown sugar, flour and vanilla.  Stir in pecan halves. Pour filling into pie shell.  Microwave on 50% power for 9 - 12 minutes or until top is dry and puffed.  If center is not completely set, it will firm up as it cools.

Yield: 8 servings 

TIP: BEST IF MIXED BY HAND, so NO mixer needed! 

Linked to
  Foodie Friends Friday  
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Pies & Cakes
Freedom Friday
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday
Weekend Potluck

7 comments :

  1. Wow, that looks great! I never made a pie in the microwave. I guess I was worried about uneven cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    I love Pecan Pie!! =)
    Pinning to my Dessert board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecan Pie is my favorite, Marsha! Wow, I need to try this microwave version and I see you've cut back on the sugar. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day and WOW! Di you mention microwave too?
    For Thanksgiving, this is on my list to do;viewing as part of Food Friends Friday Party too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazeballs!! OK this is so dangerous b/c this is my favorite pie and it's also the most unhealthiest pie there is so I usually only indulge on one piece a year at Thanksgiving. This makes it WAY to easy to have it any time! Deleting from my memory!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned that you baked your pie crust first. How long and what power did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, I baked it in my regular oven.

      Delete

Printfriendly