Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Special Pimento Cheese

I have ALWAYS loved pimento cheese. On occasion, I've been known to add it to my deviled eggs.  EGGS-elent way to enjoy deviled eggs!

I've even been found staring (& maybe even wiping the drool from my chin!=) at packaged pimento cheese at the store...
maybe it was because it wasn't something I was introduced to as a kid, but as an adult, I've fallen in love with this tasty 'dressed up' cheese dish.  

So when I saw this 'homemade' version from my sweet friend and 
'Sister of Shared Taste Buds' 
Veronica at Veronica's Cornucopia, I knew I'd found a winner! 
(Please stop by and check out her amazing recipes - many 'BLUE RIBBON WINNERS'...and don't forget to tell her I said hello) 

As you probably know, I love EVERYTHING with cream cheese and this is no exception!! 
We enjoyed this along with Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup...a recipe that I found on the internet to use up the 'leftover' peppers after making this cheese mixture.
(I will share that recipe one of these days). 

Only to find out later, Veronica has a couple of recipes for that too!

Veronica just recently shared my recipe for Special Egg Salad so I renamed this as...


SPECIAL PIMENTO CHEESE

1/4 c. (2 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
(After making this a few times, I decided it's best with more, so I use
4 ozs)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1/8 tsp garlic powder

(we love garlic so I added a tad more)
  1/2 tsp minced dried onion

few dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 c. (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese*

(*see Tip below)
1/2 c. (1-1/2 oz) shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimientos, drained
(I used roasted red peppers)
Salt to taste
garlic/pepper blend 

In medium bowl using a mixer, whip the cream cheese until creamy, then add remaining ingredients.  Beating it will help break down the cheese and pimientos and makes for a smoother spread. Cover; refrigerate; enjoy!

This is great as a sandwich spread or with crackers. It keeps in the fridge for several days...if it lasts that long! 

TIP: I would suggest you grate your own cheddar cheese - the store purchased often has wax on it and won't blend as smoothly.  


Linked to Weekend Potluck

2 comments :

  1. Mmmmm.... I LOVE pimiento cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sister of shared taste buds" LOL! I'd say that's right b/c I want to make almost everything you post. I'm so glad you made your own pimiento cheese and that you liked it so much. Yay! I have to say I think I like this better as a cracker spread/dip but that may be just because I'm obsessed with dips! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly