Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Copycat Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tickled to find this recipe at Yum Sugar who went into Mrs. Field's kitchen to bake these luscious nuggets of YUM. 



You've probably heard the urban legend of how someone asked for this recipe after tasting one of Mrs. Field's cookies...well, I'll just briefly share the story found at Truth or Fiction website


My daughter and I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown "I'm afraid not." Well" I said, "would you let me buy the recipe?"
With a cute smile, she said YES". I asked how much and she responded, "Only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "just add it to my tab".. Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe - $250.00". That's outrageous!!!
Then, as the story goes, they said because they were ripped off, they were going to share the recipe with everyone.

Makes for a great story, but it really isn't true....

But STILL an awesome cookie.  I used Valentine chocolate chips I had in the freezer after finding them on sale after Valentine's Day last year.
Half of the chips are red.  Makes for a lovely holiday cookie to share with your sweetie...

I looked at several recipes for Mrs. Field's cookies, and it seems they all had their own 'take' on it, but the video I watched, direct from Mrs. Field's kitchen, said a big key to this recipe is using cold butter.  Makes all the difference. 

I know 20 minutes is a long time to wait for a cookie to bake, but rest assured..it will be worth the wait!  You DO want them to be copycat, right?

THINK...MRS. FIELD'S COOKIES AT THE MALL!!! 



COPYCAT MRS. FIELD'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. (dark) brown sugar (firmly packed)
(You can always use 1 Tb. molasses to 1 brown sugar to make DARK)
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. cold salted butter, cut into cubes
2 lg. eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract (real is best)
1 (12 ozs.) bag semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F. (You may line cookie sheets with parchment paper, or bake cookies on ungreased pans).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk.
  3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, blend the sugars at medium speed.
  4. Add the cold butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix at low to medium speed just until blended. Do not overmix.
  5. Add the flour mix and chocolate chips, and blend at a low speed just until mixed. 
  6. Drop by rounded tablespoons (using a medium spring loaded scoop works great) onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
  7. Bake 20-22 minutes until golden brown. Remove cookies immediately to a cooling rack.
If you like these cookies, you may also like these 
(made with a cake mix)

Linked to GBP Roundup - Picnic
       Weekend Potluck

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly