Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Tasty Lemon Chess Pie

I've been on kind of a pie 'kick' as of late....dunno why. But I found this recipe irresistible. We love chess pie and to 'dress it up' by adding lemon just intrigued me. 

I love Michael Ann's recipes at The Big Green Bowl. They are simple and I've always had great success with every one that I've tried.  So when I came across this one some time ago, I had to try it. Please stop over and say hello to her for me. 

I love that it uses buttermilk....check out my recipe for DIY Perpetual Buttermilk
where you use buttermilk to make more buttermilk...

If you like lemon, you'll love this creamy custardy pie. 



LEMON CHESS PIE 

4 eggs, room temperature
1-1/2 c. sugar
1 TB. white or yellow cornmeal 
1 TB. flour
1/2 tsp. salt (omit if you use salted butter)
1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 c. buttermilk*, room temperature
1/3 c. lemon juice, room temperature

(fresh squeezed is bestest!)
1 TB. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Whipped cream for serving


Preheat the oven to 350.

(If need be, place chilled eggs in warm water for a few minutes to warm. It's important they are not cold right from the fridge). 

In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add remaining ingredients, one at a time, whisking after each addition to blend well.

Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the pie is golden on top and almost set.  The center of the pie should be slightly loose; it will set as it cools. Remove the pie to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.

*If you don't have buttermilk on hand, place 1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice in 1/2 cup liquid measuring cup and add milk. Let stand a few minutes.


Linked to 
Full Plate Thursday
Weekend Potluck




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly