Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie


 I've had dreams about making the best chocolate chip cookie!
 
 I could write a book about all the chocolate chip cookie recipes I've tried. 

If you have time for a story, this one comes to mind....
(otherwise, keep scrolling to the recipe=) 


In Sept 1987, I was hospitalized the night before I would be
 going into surgery the following day to have a slow-growing benign brain tumor removed..

We lived in WA state, where my hubby was stationed in the Air Force, and the military sent me to Denver, CO for the surgery at Fitzsimmons Army Med. Ctr. 

God had given me TOTAL peace...I was not afraid in the least.  I knew I would either die and go to Heaven to be with my Lord, or I wouldn't...I'd had a wonderful life up to that point, and God gave me that indescribable peace that can't be explained. 

Anyway, my first of 2 surgeries was 14 hours long ( a week later, I had a 9 hr surgery to remove all of the tumor, softball size) ....when I woke up in recovery, I saw my mama and my sweet hubby standing next to me...

My first thought (had tubes in my mouth and nose, so I couldn't speak - DRAT!) when I saw them was 'UGH....Now I can't finish baking my chocolate chip cookies!'

I had been dreaming I was making chocolate chip cookies, and when I woke up that was my first thought! 
(Guess that gives you a clue how peaceful I was feeling). 

Now I have a sis-in-love, Vicki, who is the 'cookie queen' in our family...my kids have always raved about her choc chip cookies, and I understood why! 
And I can make her recipe, but it doesn't turn out the same as she makes them, so I continue to try...and try...and try again. 

So when I saw this cookie at Kim's Sunflower Supper Club....I, of course,
had to give them a try, especially since she decided this ONE was IT!

And I agree....I love a thick cookie that's crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside...

I revised them slightly by using just a little less salt & sugar...
 
Hope you'll give them a try too.  I find it interesting that Kim refrigerates the cookie dough on the cookie sheet before baking...must be a good 'trick' to know....



THE ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

3-1/2 c. flour
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/4 c. unsalted butter
1 c. (dark) brown sugar
(original recipe calls for 1-1/4 c.)
1 c. white sugar
(original recipe calls for 1-1/4 c.)
2 lg. eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 bag (12 ozs) chocolate chips, your favorite flavor

Preheat oven to 350. **See tip below

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 

In large bowl, cream butter, brown and white sugars until smooth and combined. (Using a paddle attachment works best). Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla and blend. Add dry ingredients a little at a time, mixing on low until combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. 

Using a cookie scoop, about 1/4 c. in size, scoop cookies and place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate cookie sheet/dough for 30 minutes before baking. 

**(Now would be a good time to preheat the oven).   

Bake for about 15 - 17 minutes, or until they look almost done. Allow to stand and cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, while they finish baking; remove to rack to cool.   

Kim says this dough freezes very well.  Shape into balls and place on a cookie sheet; place in freezer until frozen.  Remove and place in ziploc freezer bags. May bake from frozen state, adding a few minutes of baking time. 

Dough will be stiff so don't freeze the bowl full of dough. 

Enjoy!! 

Linked to Weekend Potluck

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly