Monday, July 29, 2019

Crunchy Topped French Rhubarb Pie (a 1st Place Winner!)

I opened my cookbook (I still have 2 of my 3 for sale...click here for more info
about my books...on sale for $12 with free S & H) to make my favorite Peach-Blueberry Crisp and this recipe was laying inside on that page! Not really sure where it came from...

I had some rhubarb in the freezer that was given to me a while back, so when I saw this recipe, I thought it was the perfect dish to use some of that up.

(I also had pie crust dough in the freezer and love being able to 'clean out'). 

Problem was...I made the pie to give away, so I couldn't take a picture of the inside.

Well, I could have, but it was still pretty warm when it went out the door.

My mom always made apple pie with crumb topping and that's still a favorite
for me now, but since the source of this article came from a newspaper and
it was a 1st place winner...somewhere...I knew it would be worth the effort. 


It's a fairly simple recipe, so I do hope you'll give it a try.  

I think this little clipping was a hand me down from my mom...I know it was old when I got my hands on it, so...


I think I'm partial to crumb topping...

(hover over photo to pin) 

CRUNCHY TOPPED FRENCH RHUBARB PIE

Filling: 
1 egg
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. fresh rhubarb, cut into small pieces
2 Tb. all purpose flour

Topping: 
1 c. quick-cooking oatmeal
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. chopped nuts, (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 

8" unbaked pie shell

In medium bowl, mix filling ingredients together and pour into pie shell. 

In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients together and sprinkle over filling. 

Bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350; bake for an additional 30 minutes or more until done. 
Cool to room temperature; refrigerate before serving. 

Yield: 1 pie 



You might also enjoy...








Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly