Monday, August 12, 2019

Chewy German Chocolate Cookies

I know you know by now...

I am definitely a cookie monster! 

Earlier this summer, I went to Shipshewana, Indiana, (Amish country) with a group of gals from my church...it was a wonderfully fun day.

One of my favorite places to shop is the bulk food store...when I spied 4 ozs. boxes of German Sweet Chocolate (in bars)...3 for $1...I had to grab them up, though I had no idea what I would make..I just can't refuse a bargain. 

So when I got a free sample of Taste of Home magazine this week...and saw this recipe...

Well, you know the rest of the story.  


These sweet treats have an amazing texture and taste.  Do hope you'll make them soon. 

Thank you to Charlene Brenden from Salem, Ore for sharing this recipe. 


CHEWY GERMAN CHOCOLATE COOKIES 

12 ozs. German sweet chocolate, chopped
2 Tb. shortening (I used crisco)
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
3 lg. eggs, room temperature
(I place them in warm water for a few minutes) 
1-1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans
30 - 48 pecan halves
Powdered sugar, optional 

Preheat oven to 350*. Grease cookie sheet, or use parchment paper or a silpat. 

In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and shortening; (I heated for 2 - 1 minute increments) stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; mix well; set aside. 

In a medium bowl, with a mixer, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Add in cooled chocolate and the vanilla, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well.  Stir in chopped pecans. 

Working quickly (dough will be very soft), drop dough by tablespoonfuls
(I used more dough for bigger cookies, so didn't yield as many) 2" apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each.  Bake until cookies are set, 10 - 12 minutes (depending on size).  Cool for 1 minute before removing to cooling rack.  If desired, dust with powdered sugar when cool. 

Yield: 2-1/2 - 4 dozen 

You may also enjoy...




(using a cake mix!) 





Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments :

  1. I’m like you, my friend, and like to make bigger cookies. Why eat two small ones, when one big one is more satisfying?? These sound wonderful, and chewy cookies are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for stopping by dearie. I can't imagine what I would do without your encouragement. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly