Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Copycat Panera Chicken & Wild Rice Soup


With all the 'goodies' we enjoy this month, we all need some comfort food that fills us with healthy ingredients and can be made during the week...

Here you go...you're welcome! 

I use to not enjoy soup...at all.  I avoided it like the plague.  I know we were married
several years before I ever tried my hand at making it.

I believe that was because I grew up in a very frugal household...and we had soup...A LOT!  


I needed a break...then, in 1987, when I was in the hospital recovering from 2 surgeries to remove a brain tumor (thank the good Lord it was benign)...I would watch soup commercials and my mouth would salivate!  

I couldn't wait to get home and open a can of Progresso!

But then it got even better...I began making my own soup at home...SO.MUCH.BETTER! than from the can.  

And here we are...enjoying soups often and loving them. 



I made this batch to take to a friend recovering from surgery.  Also took some muffins - which are great any time, but I especially love them with soup.  Or cheese and crackers...or a grilled cheese sandwich!  

Soups are so forgiving to make - add what you have and what you like...thicken them if you like them creamier...

Do hope you'll enjoy this one soon!  I think it could easily become a family favorite. 




COPYCAT PANERA CHICKEN & WILD RICE SOUP 

1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp. olive oil (or coconut oil)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 c. (32 ozs) chicken broth 
2 c. water
2 c. milk, divided
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. cooked chicken breasts, diced
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 sm. box (about 4 ozs) long grain & Wild Rice mix
salt & pepper to taste
chopped green onions for garnish, optional 

Place olive oil in large saucepan; add carrots, celery and onion. Allow veggies to
simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until softened.  Add garlic cloves, chicken broth and water and 1 c. milk; stir until combined.  Add pepper, oregano, and chicken; heat on med low for 15 minutes.  Whisk together remaining 1 cup of milk with 1/2 c. flour, stirring until no lumps remain.  Pour this into the soup; whisk until combined and it's getting thick.  Place the rice and seasoning packet into the soup; mix until blended.  Allow soup to simmer for 20 more minutes or until the rice is tender.  Add salt & pepper to
taste...enjoy with chopped green onions for garnish.  

Enjoy!  

Linked to 
Meal Plan Monday




Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments :

  1. I made a similar recipe in my IP recently, Marsha. I’ll have to try your version next time. I love soup!
    I didn’t know about your brain surgery years ago. I’m so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what do you know! We're still learning about each other after all these years. =) The left side of my face has partial paralysis and I'm totally deaf in my left ear, but most folks never know unless I tell them. Soup is surely comfort food! Thanks for stopping by so faithfully dear friend. XO

      Delete
  2. I just made this over the weekend. It turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I'm thrilled to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup is delicious! I made a double batch so I could freeze some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marsha! I'm trying this soup today for mine and a friends "Moist Monday's" :) We are a homeschool family and we get our kids together for "pods" on Monday's. We take turns supplying a crock-pot meal for each family, and the other person supplies lunch! I've been searching for a good chicken and wild rice soup! Thanks for posting! -shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hurray! I do hope everyone loved it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly