Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tips for Money-Wise Meals - #1

December is here, and we are all busier than ever...I want to share some ideas to inspire you to help you with your food 'management'/meal planning.  I will be sharing some awesome recipes later this month too, but for now....





  • Coupon, coupon, coupon!  If you've followed my blog for long, you'll know I LOVE coupons, and often get to save 60%+ of the total price I spend, because I stick with purchasing sale items, and use coupons also.  Clip weekly from the newspaper (hint: some of the coupons in the file that I always carry in my purse - will be thrown out if I don't find the item on sale). Ask a friend who doesn't use coupons, if they'd be willing to share theirs with you.  It's a great way to save big $$.


  • Shop your pantry - use what you have.  If you stock up on weekly sales, you can learn to cook with what you already have.  Keep vegetables, soups, broths, beans, etc. on hand - and have a system in your pantry so everything doesn't get lost, and you don't know what you really have.  Ex: keep soups together with labels facing the front - use tubs to group some items and/or smaller items together.


  • Shop bulk sections - Go for grains, nuts, dried fruit, cereal and more - You can buy as much, or as little, as you want, and prices tend to be more reasonable because you're not having to pay for name brands or fancy packaging.  I love to buy powdered milk there, as it isn't something I use often, or much of, but it's so handy to have a little bit when I want it.


  • Make your own 100-calorie packs - It's so much more economical to make your own.  Separate chips, cookies, etc. into resealable plastic bags and you will save all the waste of the packaging too.


More ideas again next week...HAPPY SHOPPING & COOKING TOO!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly