Friday, August 26, 2011

Caramelized Vegetable Trio - Great Side Dish!

I'm excited to share this one with you...

It's a favorite and I think it makes a great side dish for any meal.

I hope your family enjoys this even half as much as we do!

My Alaska friend, Wanda, who doesn't do much cooking, shared this recipe with me and we have enjoyed it so much. She manages to come up with some real winners...she just doesn't realize her talent! *-*

This recipe is a great way to serve fresh summer veggies in season. It's not too late to get fresh green beans and red taters.

MMMMMMMM!!!  MMMMMM!!

It's easy, delicious and impressive!  If you're having company and need a side dish, this is a great one.  First, you'll want to check to be sure they 'do'
onions...as many don't, but we love this!

Try it...you'll like it.


First you clean and chunk the potatoes and green beans, and while they're cooking, you caramelize the onions.  I browned them a few minutes longer after taking this picture. You want them nice and brown.

Then you mix balsamic vinegar and brown sugar together (I use Brown Sugar Splenda - half the amount called for) and add it to the onions, then pour that over the top of the drained veggies.  I can eat a whole plateful of this sooo- good dish!

(For Curious Minds...The 'other' thing on the plate is a burger
with sauteed fresh mushrooms topped with sour cream - YUM!)

CARAMELIZED VEGETABLE TRIO


2 lbs. small red potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
1 lb. fresh green beans, cleaned and snapped in half
(may substitute 2 cans canned green beans, drained)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. margarine
2 lg. sweet onions, chopped
1/4 c. cider or balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

In Dutch oven, bring 1-1/2" of water to a boil.
Add potatoes and beans; cook until tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.
Drain - set aside. While vegetables are cooking, melt margarine
in 12" skillet; add onions and cook until tender and browned, about
10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar
and 1/4 tsp. salt. Pour onion mixture over potato mixture;
stir to coat.  If desired, top with freshly ground pepper
before serving.


7 comments :

  1. What a great, comforting dish. I could eat it right up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks so good. I just may have to put this in my Friday Finds for next week and see if I can get this one by my husband. I could probably just eat it all myself, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination of veggies! I need to make more tasty side dishes like this. Yummy!

    I just got some balsamic vinegar to review and this would be the perfect way to try it out! Thanks Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This has me hungry and wanting to snack before dinner... what a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE veggies prepared this way! This is a great recipe, Marsha, thanks for sharing!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering! Vinegar and potatoes is a combo that I go crazy for right now - pretty sure Joshua is going to love his sea salt and vinegar potato chips. haha! I' gotta try this - a perfect side dish for grilled meats in the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly