Friday, March 25, 2011

Slow Cooker Chocolate Pudding Cake


This is a delicious and versatile recipe that can be found in my cookbook - Recipes & Recollections from The Better Baker.  

My hubby is diabetic so I do lots of low sugar desserts in our house.

But this can be made sugar-full as well - you choose.

I was anxious to try the new sugar free cake mixes (thank you Pillsbury!) and so I chose this recipe and made it sugar free.

It was soooo good!

We enjoyed it with some tasty sugar free vanilla ice cream, but I didn't want to cover up
the moistness of the cake, so I took a picture before I added the ice cream.


It really was moist and gooey - something my taste buds adore!!



These are the simple ingredients I used.

It's always good to remember that when baking with Splenda, your baking time will be shortened.  This recipe (using sugar sweetened items) calls for baking in slow cooker for 4 - 6 hrs.  I baked this for only 3.

Hershey's has sugar free chocolate chips available that are very tasty.  But I would recommend if you're not use to eating totally sugar free, use some sugar in this recipe as the sugar free products can tend to make you..um...er...'toot-y'!

You could use 50% reduced sugar cake mix, along with the other ingredients that contain sugar.   Hoping you 'get the picture'.

Another change I made was instead of using 3/4 c. oil, I used 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce and 1/4 c. oil.  Applesauce is a much healthier alternative to oil.

SLOW COOKER CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE
(From halfmysize.com and The Better Baker)

1 - 18 ozs. box chocolate cake mix
1- 3 ozs. box instant chocolate pudding
2 c. sour cream (I used lite)
4 eggs
1 c. water
3/4 c. canola oil
(I used 1/4 c. oil + 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 c. toffee bits, optional
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Stir in toffee and chocolate chips.  Pour into 5-qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (Or use one of those nifty liners).  Cover and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours; center will be soft.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.  Yield: 8 - 10 servings

Try it...I think you'll like it!