Sunday, July 28, 2013

German Baked Beans

As the food columnist for a local newspaper, each year I GET to serve beans to folks on the street (sidewalk, actually) in celebration of the town's Bean Days! It happens every 3rd weekend in July.

I filled an 18-qt. roasting pan with these yummy beans.  I made this recipe 6X over. 

It's an easy recipe to throw together.

I chose this recipe this year, and hadn't even made it first.  One of my favorite bean recipes includes sauerkraut, and this one included applesauce too.  I figured that could only sweeten it up.

There were MANY folks who said these beans were the best (there were 11 businesses serving them). The beans sweeten the sauerkraut, and they are delicious together. 

I got the recipe from a local newspaper a long time ago. I also added smoked sausage and onion, as I love both of those flavors in my beans.

We normally serve over 200 samples, but because of this year's high heat and humidity, we only served about 150+. So I got to bring some home for my hubby, whose nickname is BEAN, to enjoy.  Though he's diabetic and can't eat much at one time because of the sugar content. 

This recipe is a keeper and I hope you and your family will enjoy it sometime soon.  This dish would be awesome to take to a potluck, picnic, or reunion. 




GERMAN BAKED BEANS

2 (15 ozs) cans pork and beans
(I used half canned baked beans)
1 (14 ozs) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. brown sugar 
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground mustard 
1/2 - 1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced

Preheat oven to 400* 

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish, coated with nonstick cooking spray.  

Bake uncovered for 1 - 1-1/2 hours (or cook in crockpot on low for 4 - 5 hours)

Yield: 8 servings

5 comments :

  1. The beans sound great and very different, Marsha! I love sauerkraut so I know I would love these. I made beans in my pressure cooker today. We must both have beans on the brain. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! =)
    these sound and look delicious!
    Baked Beans are my **favorite** side dish! =)

    Pinning to save.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm! I like the idea of adding the smoked sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so delish! I pinned these to "picnics and potlucks" board b/c I want to bring them to our family's annual pig roast/family reunion this September! Can't believe how many beans you make - a lot of work but how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never had thought of putting sauerkraut in beans but I am sure that it would be wonderful. I love baked beans. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you will join us again this coming week.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly