Friday, March 4, 2011

King Ranch Chicken Casserole from Halfmysize.com

Mexican foods are my most favorite ethnic dish!!

And this one really hits the spot for me.

I use to make a similar dish years ago and lost that recipe somewhere along the way, so I was tickled when I found this recipe - with nutritional info included!

It's simple and delicious and could be made a day ahead and refrigerated.



I don't care for fat free cheese - it doesn't melt nicely, and I don't think it tastes too great either, so I opted to use the 2% reduced fat 'fiesta blend' that I had on hand. 

I also used whole wheat tortillas, and just have myself convinced that kinda 'evens' out the recipe not using the ff cheese.  *-*



If you want to use FF cheese - I would suggest mixing a small amount of 2% with it, and it'll make for a tastier dish.

I also cooked my own chicken...you don't have to use canned.

(I'm not real fond of the way the ingredients aren't listed in order according to the order you use them, but I copied this as it is in the cookbook)

KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
(From halfmysize.com and The Better Baker)

1 - 10 ozs. can chicken breast, drained
1  can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 - 14 ozs. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
8 corn tortillas, cut or torn into fourths
1 c. fat free shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. celery, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.  In nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion, garlic and celery until tender. Add soups, tomatoes and chicken; heat and mix thoroughly.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Spray 9" X 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Make a layer of tortillas in bottom of dish.  Pour 1/2 of soup mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/2 of shredded cheese over soup mixture. Repeat layers; ending with cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.   Serves 6

Nutritional info per serving:
Calories: 205; Fat: 2.4 gr.; Fiber: 2.5 gr.


4 comments :

  1. Yummy, Yummy...I love casseroles. They usually go a long way and they reheat nicely. Casseroles are good for the busy person (me). I will have to give this a try. I love Mexican foods too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm with you on loving the Mexican food...and not loving the ff cheese! :) This looks yummy. Love that it can be made a day ahead~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe does sound good! I am ging to copy it down and try it. Thanks so much for posting it! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks amazing! thanks for sharing! love it :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly