Monday, March 14, 2011

Slow-Cooker Cheeseburger Soup {WW style}

We've enjoyed many soups this cold and snowy winter. 

Trusting spring is just around the corner, but I wanted to share another soup recipe before it warms up too much outside.

Thick creamy soups are at the top of my list!

The same day I printed this recipe for Cheeseburger Chowder at my good friend Angie's A'lil Country Sugar, I came across this revised version from my Weight Watchers file.

Be sure and check out her version before making, just to get a variety of ideas!

I was sooo excited!  I decided I was destined to make this delicious dish!  *-*


I didn't have time to wait for the crockpot, so I just cooked mine on top of the stove.

I'll share the ingredient revisions I made below...


SLOW COOKER CHEESEBURGER SOUP

2 sprays cooking spray
(I used a little olive oil too...WW wants you to have oil daily, soo)
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, chopped
1 lb. uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
2 Tb. all purpose flour
(I used 3 because I like it thick)
3 cups canned chicken broth, divided
1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
8 ozs. Velveeta 2% reduced fat cheese, cubed
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
baked lowfat tortilla chips, crumbled

I also added a can of fire-roasted tomatoes - it gave it great ZIP!

Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over med-high heat for about 30 seconds.  Add garlic, onion, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are tender, about 5 - 10 minutes.  Coat a 3-qt. or larger slow cooker with cooking spray; spoon in vegetables.  (A crockpot liner would work nicely too).

Place same skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef; breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 - 6 minutes; pour off any liquid and add meat to slow cooker.

In small cup, combine flour and 1/2 c. broth; stir until lump-free.  Pour flour mixture into same skillet; add remaining 2-1/2 c. broth.  Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in bottom of skillet with wooden spoon, then pour into slow cooker; stir in evaporated milk, cheese, paprika, salt and pepper.  Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 2 hrs. Serve soup topped with crumbled chips. 

Yield: 8 servings - 3/4 c. of soup and 3 Tb. of chips per serving

Weight Watcher points per serving: 5  (Prior to Points Plus)
And without my revisions...



Print Friendly and PDF



12 comments :

  1. This sounds just wonderful. I copied down the recipe and will try it very soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I bet my teenage son would really like this! Thanks for another great recipe!

    C'mon over and share this on Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

    http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com/melt-in-your-mouth-monday-week-4/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup looks so good. I really like the combination of flavor. Thank you for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that just the best??? I will definitely make it again, but the next time I will measure my ingredients. Mine was way too thick. And what a great idea with the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I love using my crockpot but don't break it out as much as I should. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure am happy that you brought that great Cheeseburger Soup to share with us at Full Plate Thursday. It really is a great soup that I would enjoy anytime of the year. Thanks for coming today and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my kinda soup! You always know just what I like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that this is a Weight Watchers soup too!! Thank you SO very much for linking this up at the our linky party on Friday. This is such a great recipe - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheeseburger soup sounds sooooo good! My girls would get such a kick out of it being a cheeseburger in soup form! I will be giving this one a try, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love new soup recipes and this will be one I'll try soon! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the soup this past weekend and it was awesome good. My new favorite soup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be trying this one out...well, next Fall or Winter. It sounds wonderful, but I have to wait until the 100 degree temps are over!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly