Friday, July 29, 2011

Kraut 'n' Beans...LOTS of 'em! And a Tribute....



I'm dedicating this post to my sweet father-in-love...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAD BAKER!

He would have been 91 today. He's remembered fondly & lovingly.

He loved me as his own daughter and was a dear friend.

John William Baker was a true patriot who was taken from us much too early.
He was the father of 10 children.

He worked as an electrician and was electrocuted on the job the month before he turned 50.

My life was impacted by his love and friendship. He was a great man and I'm so thankful for his influence in making my husband the awesome guy he is today...a close 'carbon-copy' of his father.

No doubt, heaven is celebrating this great man with us today.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

BEANS...BEANS...THE MUSICAL FRUIT...
THE MORE YOU EAT, THE MORE YOU TOOT...
THE MORE YOU TOOT, THE BETTER YOU FEEL,
SO LET'S HAVE BEANS FOR EVERY MEAL!

Onto the recipe....

Did you know that not only is July NATIONAL ICE CREAM MONTH....it's
also NATIONAL BAKED BEANS MONTH!

I recently made this delicious recipe (and 10X'd it!) to serve samples on the street for the newspaper that I write a monthly food column for....for the Bean Days celebration...held annually in July, in Montpelier, Ohio. 

(My dad-in-love always led the Memorial Day parade in this same town,
and then spoke at the cemetery...as his son (my sweetie) has done a few times).   

(My hubby's nickname is Bean!=) NO JOKE! He only had one teacher in high school who called him Ron...everyone else has always called him Bean....we still do. {More about that in another post one day}.
Some folks in our little hometown here don't really know what his real name is!!

This dish is always a hit and I received many comments about it being the best served that day. (There were 20 entries, so that was pretty cool).

The first time I enjoyed this wonderful dish was at a Girlfriend's Potluck. I asked the gals to bring a dish that begins with the letter of their first names...my daughter-in-love, Kym, brought Kraut 'n' Beans and was asked for the recipe by several.

This picture was taken before cooking - a roasterfull!

This great any-time-of-the-year dish only has 5 basic ingredients.
It goes together quickly and not only is delicious...it's a great conversation maker too.

Who can believe it actually has sauerkraut in it? It tastes so sweet!

This is a picture after they simmered a few hours.


M-M-M-M!!!

Give 'em a try...and a toot! (teehee)

KRAUT 'N' BEANS

1 (40 ozs) jar great northern beans
1 qt. sauerkraut, drained
1 (16 ozs) pkg. polish kielbasa sausage, diced
1 heaping cup brown sugar
3 Tb. ketchup
diced onions if desired

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Or bake in slow cooker on low for 6 - 8 hours.




Print Friendly and PDF





Linked to Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Tuesday Talent Show
Ingredient Spotlight
Ingredient Spotlight - Hot Dogs & Sausage
Weekend Potluck

3 comments :

  1. I am a huge bean fan (and yes, your hubby falls into that category). Beans are packed full of fiber and can be used in so many different ways....I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father in law sounds like he was a sweet man! The recipe looks yummy and hearty! Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have to make this! Thanks for featuring it in your blasts from the past. And now I want to hear the story of how your hubby got the nickname "Bean." lol

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly