Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ice Cream Pies - A Family Favorite



Today is National Ice Cream Pie Day!

I've had this easy and special treat in my files for some time, and figured today is the day to finally reveal this wonderful recipe.

It's a 'secret' NO more! *_*



I found this simple recipe - only FIVE ingredients - on a cake mix box in the late 70's and it's been a family favorite ever since.

My kids have often asked for it for their birthdays...a simple combo of cake (brownie like) and ice cream - all in one.

The recipe makes TWO pies - one to enjoy now..one for later, when unexpected company drops by.  PERFECT! 

There's canned frosting in the base of the pie, and then the leftovers are warmed and drizzled over the top - sooo easy! 


Trust me...this is a dish that's sure to have you score 'points' with your family.

Never fear - the cake part WILL fall after it's baked - it's suppose to. 

I remember having overnight guests, and when she saw my cake she said "Awww - it fell".

I proudly told her it was suppose to! (You fill it in with the ice cream!)
(hover over photo to pin) 

Choose a favorite ice cream - make ahead and you'll be ready to party (for whatever reason) and there will be no last minute rush.

The base of this dessert is like a fudgy brownie - OOOOO SOOOO GOOOD!

ICE CREAM PIES

1 - 18 ozs. devil's food or chocolate fudge cake mix
3/4 c. water
1-1/4 c. prepared chocolate frosting, divided
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/2 gal. favorite ice cream, softened
chopped peanuts or candies, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease and flour bottom, sides and rim of 2 - 9" pie or round cake pans. (I always use the cake pans).

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 3/4 c. frosting and oil on high speed for 2 minutes.  Spread 1/2 batter in bottom of each pan (don't spread up sides).

Bake 25 - 30 minutes - don't overbake. (middle will be soft when done). Cool completely; cakes will collapse.

Spread 1/2 of ice cream in each shell.  Heat remaining frosting and drizzle over ice cream. Sprinkle with peanuts or chopped candies if desired. 

Wrap tightly and freeze atleast 2 hours or up to 2 - 3 weeks. Allow to stand at room temp for 10 minutes before serving.

(I like to stand a few toothpicks up at an angle...in the pies before wrapping in foil...so the foil stays off the frosting part. (Just be sure to let pie thaw a tad before trying to remove the toothpicks...or they may break off. 
(Please don't ask me how I know that!!=) 






Print Friendly and PDF





3 comments :

  1. Umm! Sounds easy and heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic!! I wish I was an ice cream fan, but this is something I know my family would love. I may have to surprise them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha,
    We just wanted to thank you so much for linking up your wonderful pie to Our Country Pot Luck!
    We hope you will join in on the linky party every other week at our Blog.
    ~Lark, Libby and Marsha (oh that you!)

    www.countrycooksacrossamerica.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly