Friday, August 12, 2011

Taco Chicken - Family Favorite

(This awesome recipe has been featured at a couple of linky parties=)

If you like a little zip to your meals, this is a wonderful dish to try.

My favorite ethnic dishes are Mexican.

I can't count the times I've seen friends who haven't crossed my path for some time...years even...and they'd tell me they're having my recipe for taco chicken for dinner, or they had recently enjoyed it. It has simply become laughable!

This is a popular dish and a great one to serve company too!

One of my friends told me she made this recipe -- (from my cookbook) - took it to share with her son and wife, and the 4 of them cleaned up this dishful of 'YUM' - a 9" X 13 panfull!

The crumbs on top and bottom are taco chips - I love that it can be made up a day ahead too.

Try it, I'm guessing you'll think it's 'muy bien'...

(*Update - Feb. 2016 - I recently served this at a potluck in the RV park where we stay here in Florida.  I received 5 THUMBS UP from across the room and came home with an empty dish!! I baked it for just about 2 hours in my 
CASSEROLE CROCKPOT! It was a real winner). 


TACO CHICKEN  

3 - 4 lb. chicken
1 onion, chopped
1 stick margarine
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes (with green chilies),
drained & mashed
1 (10-3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10-3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup grated cheese
1 (7 oz) bag taco (or nacho) chips - {Doritos}

Boil or bake chicken; remove meat from bones; save 1 cup broth. Preheat oven to 350. In large skillet, saute onion in margarine. Add tomatoes, soups & broth. Heat and cook until thickened. Break 1/2 the chips into the bottom of a greased 9" X 13" X 2" pan, covering the bottom. Layer chicken over chips, then pour soup mixture over the top. Sprinkle remaining chips over chicken, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.

Leftovers are great too - if there are any.


 
Linked to 

14 comments :

  1. Yummy! This looks delicious Marsha! I love that you can make it ahead. :)

    Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Mexican food! This looks like something I should make and have ready to go on an auction working day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tacos look amazing and delicious, we love tacos too! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!! A recipe that uses Doritos....My family loves Doritos, but I don't buy them because I don't like them (selfish). If I can use them in this recipe, I'll be making everyone happy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUP!...Making this this Sunday! Thanks so much for sharing Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have a favorite recipe for Mexican lasagna, and I am always looking for more Mexican style casseroles. This definitely fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bookmarked this off Mandys blog! Cannot wait to try it! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great casserole dish! I see why it got a ton of traffic! Definitely going on an upcoming menu plan soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT TIME WILL U BE SERVING DINNER? COUNT ME IN! LOL THANKS FOR POSTING AT WONKA WEDNESDAY! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this--we will be making it soon, will probably substitute cream of cheddar for the mushroom though :)

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good. Thanks for linking up with Foodie Friday. Makes my mouth water. I have a soft spot for Mexican too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummo! It doesn't get much easier than this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my Marsha! This looks divine and so simple to make, I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you shared this recipe again. I don't doubt that it's a hit, because it looks so gooood.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly