Monday, December 5, 2011

Crockpot Taco Soup

I was seriously considering keeping this recipe in my drafts until January...when I will revert back to more 'healthy eating' recipes, but since it's a special day....I'm surrendering it now....)

TODAY IS LARK'S BIRTHDAY! And this is her recipe, so it is the perfect time to share! Please visit her blog or Facebook Page and wish her a very special day.  She's one very amazing woman and I'm so blessed to call her Friend!

SPARKY LARKY!!


I've learned I can always trust Lark's Country Heart's recipes...my co-blogger and buddy from Country Cooks Across America

We think a lot alike...have often made the same dish on the same day, not having a clue what the other was doing on the other side of the country!

We are definitely Sisters of the Heart...and Tummy too!

So when I came across this recipe, I knew I would have to make it, and naturally, I loved it too.

I proved myself to be right that time!

With so much to do this time of the year, this is the perfect dish to put in the crockpot and let it do the work for you while you decorate or shop.  

Though this really doesn't need to be cooked in the crockpot.  You can do it on top of the stove if you prefer.

But...both Lark and I like how the beans soften, and the flavors blend.  Not to mention...it's great to come home at the end of a busy day and have the kitchen smelling like YUM! and ready for you!

Especially when there's so many other things to do this month!

Do hope you'll try this. It's good for you. Because of all the fiber, it's good for anyone trying to eat healthier.

So make it now...and then you can make it again in the new year!

CROCKPOT TACO SOUP

1 lb. extra lean ground beef - browned and seasoned
with salt, pepper, garlic - whatever you choose
1 med. onion, finely diced
1 (16 ozs) can fat free refried beans
1 (16 ozs) can ranch style beans
1 (16 ozs) can small red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16 ozs) can pinto beans, drained
2 (16 ozs) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (15 ozs) can kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ozs) can tomato sauce
1 (10 ozs) can rotel tomatoes
1 (4 ozs) can diced green chilies, optional
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 c. water

Transfer seasoned meat to crockpot. Add remaining ingredients.  Stir well and set on low; cook 3 - 4 hours.

Serve with fat free sour cream and baked tortilla chips.

7 comments :

  1. I make something very similar to this, and funnything is I am about to get that crockpot ready so that when we come in from this dark dreary wet day ..... the smells of a yummy dinner will welcome us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made taco soup a couple weeks ago, but mine wasn't a crock pot soup. I love taco soup because it is so versatile. And the toppings are endless....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made this dish before! It looks and sounds perfect for the cool weather we're having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, This sounds easy AND delicious! I love that smell of a finished meal when I walk into the house too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good and warming. That reminds me, I should make Taco Soup again soon. I have another recipe that is basically just dump and heat, but I may try this one next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, what a perfect way to use up some of my venison (which happens to taste plenty enough like beef :) - thanks for inspiring me, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to try taco soup, and I love the idea of making it in a slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly