Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hearty Vegetable Burger Soup

This is a great & delicious warm-you-up soup!

I made it the same day I saw it posted at 4 Little Fergusons.

Tonya sure knows how to 'suck me in' with her recipes.  I try a number of them and am always pleased, so if she says it's good,
I'm on it!

I had some leftover lean ground beef already in the fridge, and hubby and I had just been talking how we wanted to eat less meat, more veggies - and that soup would be a good option.

And there it was!  A simple soup with several options to make it our own.  I love adding mixed veggies to my soups, but I used some green beans that my hubby had taken time to process and freeze  during a busy day this past summer.

I LOOOOOOVE tomato soup and I already had some leftover in the fridge, and some chopped celery also. More reasons why I decided to make it...I got to use up some on-hand ingredients.


I added a couple of small potatoes and a little bit of corn.  Add carrots or any favorite veggies.  It's all gonna be good -
and good for you.

I did cut this recipe in half since there are only two of us, but if you need more, the recipe is perfect for a larger family.

I'm sure you'll love it too - it is VERY delicious.

I hope you enjoy it soon. Serve it with a salad, rolls or a sandwich and you're ready to chow down.


HEARTY VEGETABLE BURGER SOUP

1 stick butter
(or Smart Balance)
1 c. flour
(I used a little less of white wheat)
1 qt. water, or more as it cooks
2# extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 potatoes, cubed
2 cans tomato soup
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup celery, chopped
2 c. frozen mixed veggies, or 1 c. corn & 1 c. green beans
1 cube beef bouillon
(I had reduced sodium on hand)

In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and stir to a smooth paste.  Add water, and heat until blended.

In a soup pot, brown the burger and drain. Add the flour mixture and remaining ingredients.  Simmer on low 2 - 4 hours.

I'm sure this would work nicely in a crockpot also!

YUM! SLURP! YUM!

Linked to Ingredient Spotlight