Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Amish Cheeseburger Soup

For some, soup season may be winding down, but we love soup all year around.

We eat hot meals during other months than winter, right?

Makes sense to me...that's why I'm excited to be sharing..

Another tasty 'nugget' I found at 4 little Fergusons and was SO happy I tried. That Tonya is always 'sucking me in' with the super duper recipes she shares.  Please stop by and pay her a visit.

This is a wonderful, and easy recipe that reminds me of a combination of two other soups that we love at our house.

Cheesey Chicken Chowder
(my recipe has been published in the national publication -
 The American Profile)

and

Slow-Cooker Cheeseburger Soup - WW style
(which happens to be one of most visited posts I have)

Both soups are creamy and delicious and this Amish soup brings out the best in both recipes.

Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.


AMISH CHEESEBURGER SOUP

1 lb. ground beef
8 Tb. butter, divided
(I used Smart Balance)
1-1/2 c. carrots, roughly chopped
1-1/2 c. celery, sliced
1 sm. onion, chopped
fresh parsley, snipped, to taste
basil, to taste
6 c. chicken broth
8 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
1/2 c. flour
salt & pepper, to taste
3 c. milk
(I used 1%)
3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
16 ozs. container sour cream

In skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef.  Drain; set aside.

In large stockpot over medium heat, melt 2 TB. butter.  Add carrots, celery, onion, parsley and basil and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.  Add chicken broth and potatoes; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.

While they are cooking, make the roux: In saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk until bubbly and smooth, about a minute.  Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.  Add velveeta and stir until smooth and melted through. Add to broth and veggies.

Turn heat to low and add beef. Stir in sour cream just before serving. 

When reheating, be careful not to boil as sour cream will curdle. 

A marvelous family meal - yields 10 servings.


(NOTE: if you aren't a Velveeta fan, try using cheddar cheese instead) 

12 comments :

  1. Good Morning! How fun to see that another one of our recipes made your "keepers" pile! :) Have a Terrific Tuesday, Mrs. B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds DE-LISH to me!
    (You had me at "Amish"....(lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks VERY GOOD! We love soup year round here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are year round soup eaters here, and this is what is going to be for lunch today. Heading to the kitchen right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soup all year, too!! What a great sounding soup...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I think it my family will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say I'm not a fan of Velveeta. Never use the stuff myself, but this sounds REALLY good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a stick to your ribs kind of soup, and Amish Cheeseburger Soup is definitly that. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for bringing it to our party at Foodie Friends Friday!
    Tracy @ www.busyvegetarianmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy and creamy. I am a soup lover, but I don't make it in the dead of summer. Thank you for the recipe.
    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-bacon-corn-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  11. sooo yummy! i made a soup like this a lot this winter on snow days. with a side of good homemade bread it's the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly