Friday, March 30, 2012

Blueberries & Creme Baked Oatmeal {Yogurt Based}

Another! wonderful baked oatmeal recipe!

I THINK I AM THE QUEEN OF BAKED OATMEAL. *-*

It's so good for you...and I love the versatility in these baked oatmeal dishes.

I knew I would HAVE to make this when I saw it at Finding Joy in my Kitchen.

SnoWhite & Frog Prince love to cook together!!

I've tried several of their recipes before with great results.
I have another of their recipes in my drafts that I will share soon -
Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal - single servings!

I love being able to use what I have on hand...quick, 3-minute, or even a 7-grain oat mixture that I find at my local bulk food store.

You can add fruit, flax seed or protein powder. You can use egg substitute.

And I read in the comments at SnoWhite's page, that you can even substitute oat bran for the oatmeal.

It's great to wake up in the morning knowing you'll have this delicious and nutritious breakfast waiting and ready for you!

I also love that you can freeze some of it and heat it up for a quick and healthy breakfast.

It mixes up quickly - by hand!

This is the first one I've tried that has greek yogurt added. YUUUMM!

This is creamy and rich, but low in fat and calories.


BLUEBERRIES & CREME BAKED OATMEAL
*adapted from Joy in my Kitchen*

3 c. oats (quick, old fashioned or mixture of both)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. (heaping full) plain Greek Yogurt
(I will try peach next time)

1/3 c. honey (or brown sugar if desired)

(I used half agave nectar)
1 c. milk (2%, 1%, skim)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 2-qt. casserole dish or 8" X 8" baking pan.

In large bowl, add dry ingredients - oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

In another bowl, combine wet ingredients - yogurt, honey, milk, egg and vanilla.

Combine all ingredients, then stir in blueberries until blended. Pour into prepared pan.

Place dish in oven. Cover with cookie sheet (or foil) and bake for 20 minutes; remove cover and bake another 20 minutes or until center of baked oatmeal is set.

Serve warm with more yogurt or milk.





4 comments :

  1. Good Morning Marsha! I need to get on the "Baked Oatmeal" wagon! I love oatmeal in the morning and see so many baked oatmeal recipes out there. Thanks for sharing another tasty recipe! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummmy Marsha! I'm with Jane. I need to start making baked oatmeal. What a fun twist on an old favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, you won my cookbook giveaway for the Food Network, send me your address and I'll get this out to you!

    The oatmeal looks awesome! I've been eating oatmeal more often and am always trying to find new ways to make it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe!!! I love the creamy-rich taste you get from the yogurt, but without all those calories!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly