Monday, July 23, 2012

Country Baked Beans

BEANS, BEANS, THE MUSICAL FRUIT...
THE MORE YOU EAT, THE MORE YOU TOOT...
THE MORE YOU TOOT, THE BETTER YOU FEEL,
SO LET'S HAVE BEANS FOR EVERY MEAL!! 

Because I write a bi-monthly food column for a local newspaper, the 
Leader Enterprise, I am the one who GETS to cook beans to serve folks on the street in front of the Leader office for an annual Bean Days celebration. 

We just celebrated Bean Days this past weekend.  On Friday, July 20, I cooked up an 18 - qt. roaster, plus a 6-qt. crockpot full of these beans....I love that they are made with canned baked beans....then doctored up.   I intended to get a photo of the roaster full...and forgot....

Then we talked about having the newspaper photographer take a photo when she got back from shooting photos elsewhere....and forgot again. 

We gave samples to over 225 folks on the street, (within an hour's time!) and even though we didn't win the contest, there were many folks who thought our beans were the best, so not winning a contest with only 4 judges didn't bother me in the least.   I was just elated that so many thought our beans were the best and told us so. 

I came home with this little bitty bowlfull and remembered to take a photo! *-* 

(My Sweetheart of a Husband chopped all the bacon and onions for me - that was such a great help!) 

This is a simple Taste of Home recipe and I will make it again and again.  I adore recipes with only FIVE ingredients!

It's sort of a sweet 'n' sour taste and bacon is always a winner in baked beans. 

These would be an awesome addition to a potluck or a picnic. 

You could cook them in the crockpot for a couple of hours (or longer) on high if you prefer. 

This recipe can be easily halved, or doubled.  (I made 8X the recipe!=) 


COUNTRY BAKED BEANS

4 cans (16 ozs each) baked beans, drained 
1 (12 ozs) bottle chili sauce
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 # sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled 
1 c. packed brown sugar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Pour into a 4-1/2 qt. bean pot or two ungreased 2-qt. baking dishes. 

Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 45 - 60 minutes or until heated through.  

Yield: 10 - 12 servings 

Linked to Thursdays Treasures
Weekend Potluck



5 comments :

  1. Oh my did I laugh when I read your song! My Pap sings this all the time :) It sounds like you all had a wonderful time and the beans look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly a bean lover...any kind, shape, or form. But I don't fix them too often because I am the only one that eats them. These sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you had tons of fun giving out the food. The ingredients sound really good together and I am all for easy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really good. And I love 5 ingredient recipes as well! Love the dip from the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love baked beans! So simple and yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly