Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Crunchy Chicken Salad {with nuts}

During this time of the year, I think we're all looking for easy recipes that don't require a hot oven.

Since I have been trying to eat more protein and vegetables, this recipe got my attention. 

I found this delicious recipe from Steph at Somewhat Simple

I really love a crunchy salad and this one has added mixed nuts!  
And celery - which I love. 

It also calls for broken peanut brittle - I didn't try that, but you sure can if you'd like.  Sounds yummy to me, but I didn't have any on hand.

I like to keep chicken cooked ahead and frozen ready to use, for dishes like this. 

The only change I'd make is that I think I'll add some water chestnuts...
next time!  Cause there WILL be a next time!!

Try it - it's simple and delicious.  MMMMM!



CRUNCHY CHICKEN SALAD

3 chicken breasts, cooked & coarsely shredded
2 - 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 Tb. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 c. salted mixed nuts, coarsely chopped 
3/4 c. broken peanut brittle
(don't knock it til you've tried it!) 
Flatbread or crackers 

In a large bowl, stir together chicken, celery, onion, mayonnaise, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate atleast 2 hours before serving.  Stir in nuts and peanut brittle just before serving.  Salad can be refrigerated up to 2 hours after adding nuts.  Serve with flatbread or crackers. 






6 comments :

  1. I love chicken salad with walnuts and dried cranberries. In fact, I was planning to make some today. No more plain chicken salad for me! Your recipe looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crispy salads and even moreso, I love food with a crunch! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eating a lot of chicken salads in this hot weather. I made one with green apple and one with chopped strawberry. They were both good, and I can't wait to try this one. I think the peanut brittle would be good in this.....HUMMMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring this recipe! Im glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, sounds like a great salad to me!! I'm with you on adding water chestnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just printed this recipe up. I think the peanut brittle is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly