Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cheesey Squash Bake {Healthy Option}

I really do love yellow summer squash. I use to make a very similar recipe to this when my kids were growing up, so I was delighted when I came across this recipe in a Low Calorie magazine, especially now that summer squash is in season.  

This recipe is 'lighter' than the original I use to make.  As we're aging and dealing with health issues, I try to keep things as 'light' as possible, so this recipe did the 'trick' for me!

If you prefer, you could probably use zucchini instead.  Maybe even carrots? 

I love a good cheese sauce on any vegetable. If you like a lot of sauce, you might want to increase the amounts. 

Hope you enjoy this as much as we did. 


CHEESEY SQUASH BAKE 

1 - 1 & 1/2 lbs. yellow summer squash, sliced
(about 2 medium)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 Tb. (reduced-fat) margarine
1 Tb. flour
1/2 c. (fat free) milk
1/2 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ozs)
(I love the  2% fiesta blend shredded cheese or 2% Velveeta)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. soft whole wheat bread crumbs, toasted (& buttered)
2 Tb. parmesan, optional 

In large saucepan, cook squash and onion in small amount of boiling water for 8 - 10 minutes or until tender; drain. 

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Stir in flour. Add milk all at once; cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.  Add drained squash mixture; toss gently to coat the vegetables. 

Coat 1 - to 1 - 1/2 qt. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Spoon the squash mixture into the prepared dish.  Sprinkle bread crumbs and parmesan evenly onto vegetables.  Bake 25 minutes or until the top is golden. 

Serves 6: 1/2 c. serving each

(I recently saw another similar recipe that used crushed cheez-it crackers over the top - MMMM!) 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
              Fit & Fabulous Friday

6 comments :

  1. This dish looks so good! Thank you for sharing,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm! This looks like a great dish! I love summer squash but nobody else will eat it in my house. I'll boil one for myself once in a while, mash it it up and top it off with butter and salt. Good stuff!

    Have a nice weekend, Marsha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazingFantastic as usual! I love your blog and have followed it and envied your creativity for quite some time. I’ve awarded you the One Lovely Blog & Very Inspiring Blogger Award! You can find out all about it by clicking here (http://www.zoeslunchbox.com/2012/09/one-lovely-blog-very-inspiring-blogger.html). You’re under no obligation to accept it, I just wanted to recognize you :) Thanks for all the wonderful blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks scrumptious Marsha! I love squash casserole...one of my favorite comfort dishes. Thank you for bringing your lightened-up version to Fit and Fab!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly