Sunday, September 23, 2012

Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas



I love anything, and just about everything, Mexican.
It's my most favorite ethnic foods.

Except I do NOT care for hot spicy Mexican...this dish is perfect. 

When I saw this yummy easy recipe from my good friend Kim at 
Sunflower Supper Club, I didn't have to think twice...I printed it and was making it just a couple of days later. 

IT HAS CREAM CHEESE...PEOPLE!


I am NOT going to pass by any recipe with cream cheese.  And I went crazy when I read that Kim's grocery store had had a sale on Philadelphia (not store brand!) cream cheese for $1 each!  YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING!  I haven't seen it that price for years...

Anyway, enough of the ranting...

I have a yummy recipe in my cookbook for chicken enchiladas, but I'm always up for a change, and I wasn't at all disappointed in this terrific dish. 

This recipe is easy to cut in half...as I did...because there are only 2 of us.
The only real change I made was that it calls for a 28 ozs. can of green chile enchilada sauce.  Cutting the recipe in half, I only used a 10 ozs. can and it was perfect for us. 

Give it a try...and just try to keep your family from shouting
OLE`!!!!!!!!!


CREAMY CHEESY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, baked and diced into bite-sized pieces 
3 Tb. butter
1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
2 cloves of garlic, minced (1 tsp)
3 Tb. flour
1 - 10 ozs. can rotel, undrained
1 - 28 ozs can green chile enchilada sauce
1 - 8 ozs. pkg. cream cheese, softened and cut into bite-sized pieces
(or cut into bite-sized pieces, and then softened=)
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper, optional
1/4 c. chopped cilantro (more for garnish) if desired
2 c. shredded cheese
(we like the 2% reduced fat fiesta blend)
10 - 12  8" flour tortillas
(I used low-carb) 
sour cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray large (lasagna sized pan) with cooking spray.

Melt the 3 Tb. butter in dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and saute about 3 - 4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and saute another minute or two, until fragrant.  Add flour and mix; continue cooking for about 2 more minutes. 

Add rotel, enchilada sauce, cumin and ground red pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream cheese and cilantro. Stir until cream cheese is melted. 

Place the cooked and diced chicken in a medium sized bowl and add 1 c. (4 ozs) shredded cheese and 1 c. cream cheese enchilada sauce. Mix well.

Put 1-1/2 c. cream cheese mixture in bottom of a prepared dish. If needed, wrap tortillas in paper towel and microwave about 30 - 45 seconds to soften. 

Divide chicken mixture evenly between tortillas (about a heaping 1/2 c. each) and roll up. Place seam side down in dish. 

Cover with remaining cream cheese sauce and top with remaining shredded cheese.

Bake about 35 - 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.  We enjoyed sour cream on ours too. 

Linked at Mix it up Monday
          Melt in Your Mouth Monday
       Foodie Friends Friday
          Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
Meal Plan Monday


7 comments :

  1. Ooooooh - I'm drooling! That cream cheese would help cut whatever heat there might be in the other ingredients. Sounds nummilicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look muy bueno!!! Love that they have cream cheese in them. Can't go wrong with that! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking. On the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love enchiladas and yours look amazing!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Marsha! Glad you all enjoyed them. I love your changes, and you can never go wrong with a little sour cream over the top!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tasty, Marsha! I like using the low carb tortillas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UI'm with you on skipping the hot and spicy versions! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly