Monday, September 17, 2012

Easy Old-Fashioned Green Beans

This is my most favorite way to enjoy fresh (or frozen) green beans! 

Oh so yummy! Definitely one irresistible side dish!

And let's don't forget easy!

I think bacon makes everything taste better. 

The 2 of us filled our plates and shared one whole batch of these in one sitting. 

Bacon-y and sweet! Your kids will ask for MORE. 

If you really want to, you could use turkey bacon, but the 'real stuff' makes these over-the-top wonderful!


OLD-FASHIONED GREEN BEANS

6 bacon strips, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 lbs. fresh green beans, cleaned
2 Tb. brown sugar
(I reduced it from 3 Tb.)
2/3 c. water 

In large skillet, cook bacon about 5 minutes over medium heat until crisp-tender, adding onion about halfway through browning. Add beans, brown sugar and water. Stir gently; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.  Remove to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. 

Yield: about 6 servings 

Linked up at Thursday's Treasures
            Weekend Potluck

4 comments :

  1. Yum! Bacon does make beans taste wonderful! I'd eat a whole plate full, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh theres nothing better than green beans with bacon. Pur somfort food Marsha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, my grandmother used to make something like this. . .it's been so long since I've had it! I'm going to have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and I love green beans. Thanks for a new way to make them!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly