Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chocolate Chip Granola Bites {Healthier Option}



These are yummy & a 'healthier choice' for kids...and adults alike. 

I LOVE bite-sized anything!  The kids will woof these down.  They're great to put in their lunches or for an after school snack. 

I was so happy when I saw these at Mommy's Kitchen.  Tina is a wonderful mom & down-home cook.  I have enjoyed many of her recipes as they can be trusted. 

With oatmeal, flax seed, wheat germ, coconut oil and honey among the listed ingredients, how can you go wrong?  (Trust me, the kids won't even know!) 

There's debate whether or not the flax seed needs to be ground, so do whatever you think your family will enjoy.  I eat the seeds whole in other things and don't find it's a problem.  I've also read the Omega-3 is better absorbed when it's ground(?)  If you want to 'hide' it from your kids, then I would suggest using it ground. 


CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BITES 

2-1/2 c. quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 c. crisp rice or brown rice cereal
2 Tb. flax seed
1 Tb. wheat germ
1/2 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate or butterscotch chips
(I used white chips)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) together until blended well; mixing by hand. 

If the mixture seems dry after mixing, add a little more coconut oil or honey.  Add just a little at a time until the mixture starts to come together.  Stir in chocolate or butterscotch chips.

Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the granola mixture into each muffin cup. Press mixture with back of the spoon, or your fingers, until compacted tightly. 

Bake for 12 - 13 minutes. Remove from oven when browned and let stand in pan for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  Remove each from pan and enjoy! 

Yield: 2 dozen yummy treats. 

Linked to Mop it up Monday
Melt in your Mouth Monday
Mix it up Monday
Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
Foodie Friends Friday

11 comments :

  1. These look and sound awesome...just pinned them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try these! They sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! I love bite-size treats too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound great! =)
    ( and healthy too! )

    Im pinning to save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! These look great! I love anything granola and I love the healthier version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the tiny little servings. Not that it would prevent me from overdoing it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marsha, Just stopping over from Foodie Friends Friday. Your granola sounds wonderful and looks so good! I would love to try them.

    I'm hosting a fun giveaway so please stop by when you have the chance. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this healthier option for granola bars. I'm sharing it on my facebook page tomorrow. Thanks for joining the Foodie Friends Friday Back to School linky party.

    Hope to see you again soon,
    Joanne/WineLady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were really good! Make sure to spray the tray. I was concerned bc they were so hard to form. After cooling, they pop right out.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly