Monday, January 28, 2013

Pizza Broiled Sandwiches (Make Ahead)



This is an awesome family favorite recipe that I made often when my kids were growing up.  It was considered special enough to be served to company and also added to my cookbook.  Tickled that my grown kids still enjoy this in their homes.

I've made these for graduation parties also. They would be great to serve for the upcoming BIG GAME too. 

It's a ground beef, cheese, black olives & tomato soup mixture that's made ahead, refrigerated, then spread on bread/buns and broiled in the oven so it's a great meal for families on the go.

Everyone can even make their own if necessary...even using a toaster oven. 

YUMMY YUMMY...FOR THE TUMMY!


PIZZA BROILED SANDWICHES 

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
(we like cojack)
1/2 c. grated onion
1 - 6 ozs. can chopped black olives
1 - 10.75 ozs can tomato soup
1/3 soup can salad oil
(reduced from 1/2 c. in original recipe - makes spreading easier)
1/2 tsp. oregano
french bread, sliced diagonally or hamburger buns

Combine all ingredients; mix well and let set for 4 hours in the refrigerator.  Spread on sliced french bread and broil until brown. (Make sure you spread mixture all the way to the edges, otherwise they will burn under the broiler). Keeps well in the fridge for a week.  I have spread the mixture on the buns, covered and refrigerated overnight. 

Yield: Enough to cover 2 loaves of french bread 

Linked to 
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

6 comments :

  1. Sounds like a great recipe for the grand kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat treat! We are a pizza family and I'm sure we'll enjoy these too...looking forward to making them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK this is crazy but I just pinned a similar appetizer recipe! I hope you don't mind me linking to it, I just thought it was funny to see that one and yours in the same night (although different versions but with the same idea). http://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/2011/12/moms-cheesy-bread-appetizers/#

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These sandwiches look yummy! If I were entertaining this weekend for the Super Bowl, I'd definitely make them! (Our beloved Patriots lost so I won't be tuning in. I guess I'm one of those fair-weather fans!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! :) Thanks for sharing ;)
    Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound good! =)
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly