Thursday, January 24, 2013

Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole




I love anything Mexican...and everything easy too, so I knew when I saw this yummy recipe at Tonya's 4 little Fergusons I was definitely going to try it. 

I LOVE Tonya's recipes, and have tasted them first-hand!  When I visited the Ferguson family last summer I was excited to not only taste her food creations, but get to cook a meal for them too. 

What a precious family that I have grown to love dearly!!

OK...nuff of the mush...on to the recipe. 

I tweaked it just a tad to use what I had on hand...I'll share those changes in the ingredient list. 

This recipe serves 12 so it's great for a large family.  I cut the recipe in half and it was perfect for a couple of meals for the two of us. 




          CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE 
1/2 c. onion, diced 
2 Tb. butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 - 16 oz. sour cream (lite, but not fat free, or Greek Yogurt)
3 c. shredded cheese, divided
(I love using 2% fiesta blend) 
1 sm. can green chilies
(I used white corn & black beans salsa -
it won't 'pack the punch' the green chilies do though)
2 - 4 ozs. cans mushrooms, 1 drained
10 large tortillas (I use low carb)
3 cups cooked & diced chicken

Preheat oven to 350. Coat 9" X 13" pan with cooking spray.

In a large skillet, sautee onion in butter until tender. Mix all ingredients except tortillas & 1 cup cheese. Warm mixture until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, cut each tortilla in 4 pieces using a pizza cutter. Spread a small layer of cream mixture on the bottom of prepared pan, followed by a layer of tortillas. (they will overlap slightly) Repeat, ending with plenty of the cream mixture. Top with 1 c. cheese; Bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve with chips and salsa. 



Yield: 12 servings

2 comments :

  1. Love that "mush"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you're speaking my language. My favorite food is enchiladas, and not having to roll up each one makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly