Monday, January 21, 2013

Hearty Salisbury Steaks {Healthier Option}



WOW oh WOW!

I have to add another adjective to this scrumptious recipe...

SEN.SA.TIONAL! SALISBURY STEAKS! 

We don't eat alot of beef...as you know, it's mostly
chicken for us...soups...and one - dish meals. 

We get excited about mashed potatoes and gravy too because it's something we rarely enjoy.  We try to avoid those WHITE things that a diabetic is not suppose to have a lot of, so maybe I was overzealous when I sat down to this plateful of YUM. 

This recipe was given to me - page torn out - from a Taste of Home magazine. 

I'm so happy I tried it and know we will be enjoying it again before long.  

I made 1-1/2 X the recipe and just added more water to the soup mix, along with another heaping TB. of flour. 

It was VERY good. And made enough for us to enjoy 2 meals
and one lunch.  

HEARTY SALISBURY STEAKS 

1/4 c. egg substitute 
(I use egg whites)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 # lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 Tb. canola oil, optional
1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
2 Tb. all purpose flour 
2 c. water

In large bowl, combine egg substitute, onion, saltines and pepper.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 5 patties.

In large skillet, cook patties in oil (I used a non-stick skillet and omitted the oil) over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.  Remove patties and keep warm; drain drippings. 

In small bowl combine soup mix, flour and water; stir into skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 - 7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.  

(You may want to simmer them longer if your patties are thick. 
I used my electric skillet - and loved how they turned out). 

Serve with mashed taters and a veggie. 

Nutritional Facts: 1 patty + 1/4 c. gravy = 233 calories, 10 gr. fat (3 saturated)
45 mg. cholesterol, 418 mg. sodium, 14 gr. carbohydrate, 1 gr. fiber, 
20 gr. protein. 


Linked to Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
      Foodie Friends Friday
      Scrumptious Sunday
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Lightened up