Monday, January 21, 2013

Hearty Salisbury Steaks {Healthier Option}



WOW oh WOW!

I have to add another adjective to this scrumptious recipe...

SEN.SA.TIONAL! SALISBURY STEAKS! 

We don't eat alot of beef...as you know, it's mostly
chicken for us...soups...and one - dish meals. 

We get excited about mashed potatoes and gravy too because it's something we rarely enjoy.  We try to avoid those WHITE things that a diabetic is not suppose to have a lot of, so maybe I was overzealous when I sat down to this plateful of YUM. 

This recipe was given to me - page torn out - from a Taste of Home magazine. 

I'm so happy I tried it and know we will be enjoying it again before long.  

I made 1-1/2 X the recipe and just added more water to the soup mix, along with another heaping TB. of flour. 

It was VERY good. And made enough for us to enjoy 2 meals
and one lunch.  


HEARTY SALISBURY STEAKS 

1/4 c. egg substitute 
(I use egg whites)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 # lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 Tb. canola oil, optional
1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
2 Tb. all purpose flour 
2 c. water

In large bowl, combine egg substitute, onion, saltines and pepper.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 5 patties.

In large skillet, cook patties in oil (I used a non-stick skillet and omitted the oil) over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.  Remove patties and keep warm; drain drippings. 

In small bowl combine soup mix, flour and water; stir into skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 - 7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.  

(You may want to simmer them longer if your patties are thick. 
I used my electric skillet - and loved how they turned out). 

Serve with mashed taters and a veggie. 

Nutritional Facts: 1 patty + 1/4 c. gravy = 233 calories, 10 gr. fat (3 saturated)
45 mg. cholesterol, 418 mg. sodium, 14 gr. carbohydrate, 1 gr. fiber, 
20 gr. protein. 


Linked to Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
      Foodie Friends Friday
      Scrumptious Sunday
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Lightened up
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

6 comments :

  1. We would love this, Marsha! I love it when I have everything to make it and when it makes extras because we love leftovers for lunch or another meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dirty little secret. I've never made salisbury steaks! The only ones I've had are the awful frozen ones that come in a big family pack. I could barely choke them down-lol. These looks like it's in a league of it's own. This is going on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look insanely good! They are definitely going on my menu for next week.
    I'd love for you to come and link up - http://eatenjoylive.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/weigh-in-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to making this. Looks so yummy, and less calories is a plus. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these for dinner today. Sublime! The first recipe I can cross off on my 40 Before 40 list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recipe looks delicious!
    I've always loved Salisbury Steak, but I haven't made it in a long time.

    Im pinning your recipe to make soon!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly