Thursday, January 17, 2013

Impossible Coconut Pie with Rum Sauce {Sugar Free Option}



I was happy to be reminded of this 'old' Bisquick recipe when Tiffany shared a 'dressed up' version at Eat at Home.

She declares this yummy dessert to be "Weeknight Easy and Guest Worthy".

I remember my mom making this impossible pie.  It's whipped up in the blender, poured into a pie pan and baked.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  It makes its own crust!

I was intrigued when I saw that Tiffany had created a rum sauce to top off this luscious dessert.  It was a terrific addition to an already-yummy dish. She also just mixed it up in a bowl, so feel free to do that if you don't want to use the blender. 

And because I could use sugar substitute, I decided it was necessary! that I make it.   *-* 

It is on my 'to be repeated' list! 

It's so easy it's something you can make even if you have a busy evening ahead.  You could even have your (older) kids make it because it's very KID-FRIENDLY. 

I think it baked sooo beautifully, don't you??? 



IMPOSSIBLE COCONUT PIE WITH RUM SAUCE 

4 eggs
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
3/4 c. sugar (or Splenda or xylitol)
2 c. milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
1 c. flaked coconut 


Preheat oven to 350.

Place all ingredients in blender, except coconut, and blend on low for about 1 minute.  Stir in coconut. Pour into greased 9" pie plate. (or deep 8")
Bake 50 - 55 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. 

RUM SAUCE:


1/2 c. brown sugar

(I used 1/4 c. Splenda brown sugar blend)
1/4 c. butter
2 Tb. water
1/2 tsp. rum extract

In small saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter & water to a boil over medium heat, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in extract.  Serve warm over coconut pie. 

(HINT: When using sugar substitutes, check baking time about 10 - 15 minutes sooner as they do tend to bake faster.  I made this some time ago and forgot to write down how long mine baked, but I'm guessing about 35 - 40 minutes?) 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
        Weekend Potluck

10 comments :

  1. My mom baked that impossible coconut pie! In fact, I think I have a little paper cookbook with all of those Bisquik impossible pies in it. I think it was a magazine insert that tore out...maybe 10 pages or so. I should dig that out...I remember several of them being really good! ;)

    rum sauce would be a yummy addition for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making impossible pies waaaay back in the '70's. Thanks for the reminder, Marsha. The sauce must send this over the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this around but never made it! Impossible pies are so fun. Too funny, wait till you see what I'm posting today. We both have coconut on the brain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a good recipe!
    Ive never made it, but I love pies so Im pinning to save this recipe. =)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really neat recipe! Love using a blender!! I'm all about getting to use my kitchen appliances. Found you at Country Cook Weekend Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! This pie sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom use to make this when I was a kid. I stumbled across this recipe and changed it to be gluten free. Switched out the bisquick with a half cup of coconut flour and a half tsp baking powder. Turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom use to make this when I was a kid. I stumbled across this recipe and changed it to be gluten free. Switched out the bisquick with a half cup of coconut flour and a half tsp baking powder. Turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly