Thursday, January 17, 2013

Impossible Coconut Pie with Rum Sauce {Sugar Free Option}



I was happy to be reminded of this 'old' Bisquick recipe when Tiffany shared a 'dressed up' version at Eat at Home.

She declares this yummy dessert to be "Weeknight Easy and Guest Worthy".

I remember my mom making this impossible pie.  It's whipped up in the blender, poured into a pie pan and baked.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  It makes its own crust!

I was intrigued when I saw that Tiffany had created a rum sauce to top off this luscious dessert.  It was a terrific addition to an already-yummy dish. She also just mixed it up in a bowl, so feel free to do that if you don't want to use the blender. 

And because I could use sugar substitute, I decided it was necessary! that I make it.   *-* 

It is on my 'to be repeated' list! 

It's so easy it's something you can make even if you have a busy evening ahead.  You could even have your (older) kids make it because it's very KID-FRIENDLY. 

I think it baked sooo beautifully, don't you??? 



IMPOSSIBLE COCONUT PIE WITH RUM SAUCE 

4 eggs
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
3/4 c. sugar (or Splenda or xylitol)
2 c. milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
1 c. flaked coconut 


Preheat oven to 350.

Place all ingredients in blender, except coconut, and blend on low for about 1 minute.  Stir in coconut. Pour into greased 9" pie plate. (or deep 8")
Bake 50 - 55 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. 

RUM SAUCE:


1/2 c. brown sugar

(I used 1/4 c. Splenda brown sugar blend)
1/4 c. butter
2 Tb. water
1/2 tsp. rum extract

In small saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter & water to a boil over medium heat, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in extract.  Serve warm over coconut pie. 

(HINT: When using sugar substitutes, check baking time about 10 - 15 minutes sooner as they do tend to bake faster.  I made this some time ago and forgot to write down how long mine baked, but I'm guessing about 35 - 40 minutes?) 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
        Weekend Potluck