Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lazy Cookie (or Cake) Bars



Ya'll already know I am a COOKIE MONSTER!  

I love cookies in any shape or form.  They are 'comfort food' that reminds me of my mama, and I think I love them so well because they are a 'grab n go' snack! 

So when I saw this E-Z P-Z recipe for this bar cookie, using a cake mix, at
Brandie's The Country Cook, I got excited about finding a good time to make them (I can't trust myself to stay out of them...I must have a 'reason' to bake them...i.e....take to a party, give to neighbors, etc. etc.) 

I'm always teasing Brandie about being the "Cake Queen"...she has so many awesome Poke Cake creations at her blog, she is certainly a part of the royal family when it comes to making special cakes.  So it's only right that she uses a cake mix for this bar cookie.  *-* 

I love how these bars puff up and leave all those 'cracks' in the baked dough.
(Sooooo beautiful!)

There's SO many options to making these bars.  Try different kinds of cake mix, and any flavor (or combo) of chips, or add your favorite nuts. 

Oh how I love simplicity & versatility! 

And who can't love their name too?? 

Go grab that cake mix out of the pantry and surprise your family tonight.  They will surely LOVE you for making these sweet treats. I would so love this served warm topped with ice cream!  (Gotta remember that thought for next time around). 



LAZY COOKIE BARS 

1 (15 oz.) box yellow cake mix
2 eggs, beaten
5 tbsp. butter, melted
1 bag (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 c. dried cranberries or M & M's, optional  

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In medium mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix with beaten eggs and melted butter.

The batter will be very thick. Stir in bag of chocolate chips and cranberries or M & M's, if using.

Spread batter into greased baking dish. You can flour your hand or spray with nonstick cooking spray and spread it evenly with your hand.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes. It will be brown around the edges when done cooking. Be careful not to overbake.

Linked at Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
   Foodie Friends Friday
Weekend Potluck
   Saturday Show & Tell

7 comments :

  1. What busy Mom wouldn't love making these treats for their family??!! Even kids could make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any recipe that starts with a cake mix. And I love that you used chocolate chunks instead of chips, makes them more attractive! Another Better Baker masterpiece pinned. I should start a board just for your recipes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned! I know there will come an occasion where we want cookies in a hurry without all the hassle! Plus, my girls could make these all on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy + Yummy?! Yes, please! ;) Pinning! Thanks for another great new recipe! :)

    ~Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a box of Red Velvet cake mix in the pantry that I will be making these with soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pinning this for when I can get some chocolate chips. I've got the cake mix, but my boys always raid the pantry and eat all the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this for an easy, fun treat! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly