Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sausage & Cheese Grits Breakfast Casserole



This isn't exactly a 'healthy' dish, but it can be lightened.

It's sooooooo tasty! We both REALLY enjoyed it for breakfast on Christmas morning. 

I browned the sausage the night before, then put it together in the morning. 

I found the recipe at South Your Mouth after she linked up at Weekend Potluck. Mandy says it can be made up the night before.  I can't say how that works because I didn't try it, but I do know we certainly loved this combo of flavors and will try it again. 

After browning the sausage, I put it into my colander and ran hot water over it. I'm sure you could use turkey sausage as well. 

I used my homemade chicken broth - with fat removed and didn't use as much cheese...used Smart Balance for the butter and used 2 egg whites for some of the eggs.

As I oftentimes do, I cut this recipe in half for the 2 of us, and it came out perfect. 
This recipe is definitely enough for a crowd. 


SAUSAGE & CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE

2 lbs. breakfast sausage
2 c. water
2 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
(I cut in half)
1-1/4 c. quick-cooking grits
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
6 Tb. butter (or Smart Balance)
1 c. (1%) milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
6 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 9" X 13" baking dish.

Brown sausage in large skillet, stirring until it crumbles. Drain well; set aside.

In large saucepan, bring water and chicken broth to boil; stir in salt and grits then return to a boil.  Cover pan, reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat; add cheese, milk, butter, garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper; stirring until cheese melts.  Stir in sausage and eggs.  Spoon mixture into prepared pan. 

Bake, uncovered, for 45 - 55 minutes or until golden and bubbly and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.

Make-Ahead Directions (Per South your Mouth): Prepare casserole mixture as directed above, but do not bake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.   Remove from fridge; let stand, covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed. 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
         Weekend Potluck
         Mop it up Monday

11 comments :

  1. Oh yum! I love grits; I wish they were easier to find in AK. When I first moved here my mom used to mail them to me. What a good mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't do grits that much in Kansas but I do think I'd like this casserole! It sounds so good, and you did great lightening it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marsha, I love grits, this sounds great, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great Breakfast recipe! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great brunch recipe for my family when they're all over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried grits before, but this recipe would be a great reason to try them! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are doing a hosts favorite of Foodie Friends Friday on the Daily Dish tomorrow,and I chose this as my favorite. I wish I was having this for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look so yummy, grits, sausage and cheese heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good but PLEASE don't use "Smart Balance" (it's a fake food with icky ingredients!) or 1% milk (only use whole milk!) - both real butter and whole milk are full of *healthy* fats our bodies need, especially our kids! We eat tons of healthy fat around here and are rarely sick and full of energy. :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart Balance IS gross, it even smells bad. Why worry about 6T of butter when you're using TWO pounds of sausage?!

      Delete

Printfriendly