Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tasty Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup (Weight Watchers)



Welcome to the first post of 2013 at The Better Baker!

WOW!  Did we ever imagine when we were kids we'd be writing (not to mention living in!) the year 2013? 

Trust you enjoyed a lovely holiday season.  It's such a busy time of year!
I really enjoyed my break and only got about half the things done that I had hoped to...but I missed ya'll!

It was definitely a time when I really overdid myself making dishes and indulging in them too!
(ARGH!)

Are you making any new resolutions or setting any goals for the new year?

Trying to be more organized?  I know there's lots of helpful hints on the web.  I have a closet and a few cupboards that need to be organized and cleaned out too. 

I also want to drink more water, move/exercise more, try to slow down as I'm always on the run, and I am excited that my daughter and I hope to published atleast 2 eCookbooks this new year! Always fun to dream isn't it? 

I'm thankful for a new beginning...to be able to 'turn over a new leaf' and get back on track to healthy eating.  I plan to share a number of 'healthier options' this month as I get focused on eating more veggies, fruit and fewer processed foods. 
I'm going to try a sugar-purge also.  I need to do that one badly!
{'skuse please if that's improper English!}

I have quite a few soup recipes in my drafts, but I decided I'd start out with this popular soup recipe that was a 'hot' one (pun intended=) in 2012! 

This Cheeseburger Soup is fabulously tasty and even includes WW points!
Even if you're not following that plan (I'm not either) it gives you a guideline. 

When I am in a rush, I will make it on top of the stove, but it's awesome making it in the slow cooker...letting it simmer while you're busy doing other things.  
Note that it does only take 2 - 3 hours in the slow cooker. 


SLOW COOKER CHEESEBURGER SOUP

2 sprays cooking spray
(I used a little olive oil too...WW wants you to have oil daily, soo)
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, chopped
1 lb. uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
2 Tb. all purpose flour
(I used 3 because I like it thick)
3 cups canned chicken broth, divided
1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
8 ozs. Velveeta 2% reduced fat cheese, cubed
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
baked lowfat tortilla chips, crumbled

I also added a can of fire-roasted tomatoes - it gave it great ZIP!

Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over med-high heat for about 30 seconds.  Add garlic, onion, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are tender, about 5 - 10 minutes.  Coat a 3-qt. or larger slow cooker with cooking spray; spoon in vegetables.  (A crockpot liner would work nicely too).

Place same skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef; breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 - 6 minutes; pour off any liquid and add meat to slow cooker.

In small cup, combine flour and 1/2 c. broth; stir until lump-free.  Pour flour mixture into same skillet; add remaining 2-1/2 c. broth.  Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in bottom of skillet with wooden spoon, then pour into slow cooker; stir in evaporated milk, (tomatoes), cheese, paprika, salt and pepper.  Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 2 - 3  hrs. Serve soup topped with crumbled chips. 

Yield: 8 servings - 3/4 c. of soup and 3 Tb. of chips per serving
Weight Watcher points per serving: 5  (Prior to Points Plus)
And without my revisions...


Linked to Mop it up Monday
Foodie Friends Friday
GBP Roundup - Lightened Up
Meal Plan Monday
Whatcha Crockin Wednesday

4 comments :

  1. oh my! This recipe looks so good!
    pinning to save! =)

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha, This looks so good. I may have to try it this week! :) Hope your weekend has been great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I found you on the Blog hop. Now following you. Please stop by and say hi when you get a minute. have a great week. :) Please check out my new Weekly Goals Blog hop. You can find it here. http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup.html#more Would love it if you would link up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi . Just wanted to let you know about Kishas fun linkup to Fill in the Blank Friday.
    http://www.kjaggers.com/2013/01/fill-in-blank-friday-link-up.html Check it out if you get a minute. Thanks, Lenetta

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly