Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Homemade Garbage Disposal Cleaner

I love using homemade cleaners.  Especially if it's simple to make, and if I don't have to go out and purchase several other ingredients.  I love using what I have on hand.  When I can avoid harsh chemicals in my home, I go for it. 

My favorite thing to 'deodorize' the kitchen with, using the garbage disposal is orange or lemon peels.  It gives off such a great fragrance.
(& there isn't much of that going on in a garbage disposal huh?) 

Well, this great homemade cleaner will leave you with a great smell too. 

So when I saw this quick and simple 2-ingredient mixture to pour down the disposal, I had to try it.  Thanks so much to Katie at Fun Home Things who also shares craft tutorials and homemaking tips.  Great blog Katie!
(I am partial to your name too..we have a granddaughter named Kaity=). 

When you first add the baking soda to the lemon juice, it will have a reaction, so be sure to put it in a bigger container.  After the first addition, it simmers down. 

Just mix it up when you need it. And enjoy the lovely smell in your kitchen....while cleaning your disposal!




HOMEMADE GARBAGE DISPOSAL CLEANER

1/2 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. baking soda

In large microwavable dish, heat lemon juice in microwave for 30 seconds.  Add baking soda slowly (be cautious...it will bubble up) and mix well.  Turn on the disposal and pour down the drain.  Turn on hot water for a few seconds to rinse it away. Use weekly for a fresh smelling disposal. 

Linked to Mix it up Monday

5 comments :

  1. I have always used vinegar and baking soda to clean my drains, but lemon would smell soooo much better! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tip Marsha! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would really help with all of the garbage disposal in Brampton. My wife and I are learning that this can be expensive. but it gets better as you go along, though I hope that there can be cleaner ways to get rid of trash

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly