Friday, March 8, 2013

Skinny Nutty Carrot Cake Bars



I found this luscious recipe in a magazine I received second-hand.  I believe the name of it was Low Calorie

I'm a great big fan of carrot cake.  It's my all-time favorite cake!  Topped with cream cheese...MMMMM delicious! 

This frosting recipe also has yogurt and it's so tasty and creamy. 

I was very pleased with how this reduced-calorie cake turned out.  Hope you enjoy it too. 


SKINNY NUTTY CARROT CAKE BARS 

3/4 c. all purpose flour 
1/2 c. sugar (xylitol or splenda)
1/4 c. whole wheat flour 
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. finely shredded carrots
3/4 c. chopped nuts, toasted
1/3 c. refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, 
or 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 c. oil (may substitute with applesauce)
1/4 c. skim milk
1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting

Preheat oven to 350.

Line 9" X 9" X 2" baking pan with foil, extending over edges.  Lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.

In medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and 1/8 tsp. salt. Add carrots, 1/2 c. nuts, egg, oil, and milk.  Stir just until combined.  Spread in prepared pan. 

Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack.

Using the foil edges, lift uncut bars out of pan.  Spread top evenly with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. nuts.  Cut into 20 bars. Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days. 

FLUFFY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: 

In medium bowl, beat half of 8 - ozs. pkg. softened reduced-fat cream cheese (neufchatel) with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in 1/4 c. low-fat yogurt until smooth.  Fold in 1/2 c. thawed frozen light whipped dessert topping. 

Per bar: Using sugar - 121 calories, 7 gr. total fat (2 gr. sat. fat) 5 mg. cholesterol, 64 mg. sodium, 12 gr. carb., 1 gr. fiber, 3 gr. protein 

With sugar substitute: 102 calories, 7 gr. carb. (the rest of info is same as above) 

Linked to Melt in your mouth Monday
     Weekend Potluck
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Lightened up


6 comments :

  1. I love carrot cake, too, Marsha. However, I think I actually love it because of the icing!! Who can resist a cream cheese frosting?? Not me!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....carrot cake! Sounds perfect for Easter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad loves carrot cake too. I've pinned this to make in the next few weeks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is going to love you for this recipe. :) Carrot cake is his fav, and to low-cal it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Carrot Cake! =)
    Your recipe sounds so good! Ive pinned it to try very soon.

    Have a great week!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This looks amazing! I love carrot cake! Pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly