Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tasty Chicken Noodle Soup (Homemade noodles taste shortcut)

I recently read, and fully agree, that eating broth-based soups adds to your feeling full and satisfied after a meal. 

We do enjoy soups and my hubby in particular, loves chicken noodle soup, so when I saw this recipe shared by my good buddy, and Weekend Potluck cohost, Kim at Sunflower Supper Club, I just had to try it.  I don't have all the spices Kim uses, and tweaked it 'just for our taste buds' and it was awesome. 

Have you ever used the frozen noodles from the grocery store?  To me, they taste just like homemade. I had just stocked up on a couple of bags since they were on sale, so we enjoyed some really homemade-tasting soup and will make this again. 
(BTW - Kim used frozen noodles also). 

I love the touch of creaminess this recipe has with the added cream.  MMM!

When I have celery and/or onions/carrots that need to be used up, I chop them and put in the freezer to add to soup like this one. 

This soup is delicious and nutritious, even if you're feeling good!! 



TASTY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP 

2 Tb. butter
1 Tb. oil
1/2 c. chopped (each) onion, celery, carrots
(If you're in a hurry, just add some frozen mixed veggies to soup instead) 
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
9 c. chicken broth 
(I keep 'homemade' broth in the freezer, so I can just add it to recipes like this) 
1/2 tsp. (each) dried basil and oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. (each) tumeric and thyme, optional
4 Tb. flour
1/2 c. water
1 - 12 ozs. pkg. frozen egg noodles
2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1/4 c. half and half (or whipping cream) 
(add fresh parsley to soup or as a garnish) 

In Dutch oven over medium heat, sautee onions, celery & carrots. Cook until they begin to soften; add garlic and simmer about another minute. 

Add broth and seasonings; bring to simmer; cook for 15 minutes.

In small bowl, mix flour and water; pour into soup and stir in the noodles. 
Simmer for 10 minutes more or until noodles are tender. 

Add chicken and cream, heating just until warm. Do Not Boil. 

Serve with muffins or a salad and your family will be happy happy happy. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck


3 comments :

  1. I made chicken noodle soup last week, Marsha! I use the frozen noodles, too. Aren't they the best? Nothing is better than a great bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken noodle soup!

    Thanks for the recipe!
    Pinning to save.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken noodle is my favorite and I love those Reames frozen egg noodles. Also my fave! This sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly