Thursday, May 23, 2013

Oat-Bran Raisin Muffins (& Honey Cinnamon Butter)

Since I'm working to finish up my second cookbook (hoping to have in my hand by Sept. 1), I've been scouring older recipes. 

I found this one in an old file box and remember I liked it well, way back when, but somehow some recipes get 'shoved aside' so I can satisfy my drive to try something new. *-*

So I took this old recipe and dressed it up and added some healthier ingredients and I think it turned out great.  

Soaking the oatmeal in the sour milk overnight gives it a smoother texture than just adding the oatmeal right before baking. AND....you can also mix the dry ingredients the night before, then just put things together quicker in the morning.

Hope you'll give this a try soon.  Also, try using dates instead of raisins.  MM good!

Next time I will definitely be adding chopped pecans too. 



OAT-BRAN RAISIN MUFFINS

2 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
1-1/2 c. sour milk **(see note below)
2 lg. eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar 
(or sugar substitute, like xylitol)
2 Tb. coconut oil
1/4 c. oat bran
3/4 c. white whole wheat flour 
(or all purpose)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 - 3/4 c. raisins or chopped dates
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional
cinnamon/sugar mixture, optional

Soak oatmeal in sour milk overnight. (I did this in my 4 cup measuring cup, and added the remaining ingredients in the same cup). 

In the morning:
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray 14 muffin cups. 

Stir in all the remaining ingredients - by hand - (except for cinnamon/sugar mixture).   Spray 14 muffin cups and fill about 3/4 full with mixture. (Dough doesn't rise much while baking, so they can be pretty full).  Sprinkle tops with cinnamon/sugar if desired. Bake 20 - 25 minutes. 

Remove from pan onto cooling rack. 

Enjoy with butter or Honey Cinnamon Butter


HONEY CINNAMON BUTTER

1 stick butter, room temperature
1/4 c. honey (or maple syrup)
1/4 c. powdered sugar, optional
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together in bowl until smooth. Store in refrigerator.

**To make sour milk: Add 1 Tb. + 1 tsp. vinegar to 2 cup measuring cup. 
Add milk to equal 1-1/2 c. Let stand 5 minutes to sour. Then use as directed. 











5 comments :

  1. G'day! These sounds SO yum, TRUE!
    Might have to put these on my list to do!
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! Soaking the oats reminds me of your oatmeal cake. Did I ever tell you I made that? It was great but I did underbake it a bit so it was a little doughy which ruined it a little. I have to try again when I have enough time to bake it all the way-lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thing for breakfast.. looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I would LOVE these! Do you leave the oats soaking on the counter overnight or in the fridge? Just wondering. I guess it wouldn't matter if the milk is already sour. Lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly