Sunday, June 16, 2013

Blastin' Blueberry Crunch

I have LOVED this recipe for many years.  It's one that I added to my cookbook and I turn to it whenever we have a 'mess' of blueberries.  I believe I got this recipe as a newlywed. 

Good for you and easy to make.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and you'll have your family begging for seconds.  I love anything with a crunchy oatmeal topping. 


It's also good eaten cold, but I always! prefer it warm, with ice cream!

I remember making this to take on a camping trip when our kids were young...

AHHH...the memories some foods can stir huh?  


BLUEBERRY CRUNCH 

1 c. brown sugar
(can use 3/4 c.)
1-1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. all purpose flour
(or white wheat)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted

1/2 c. white sugar
1 heaping Tb. cornstarch
3/4 c. water
2 Tb. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 - 4 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350*. In large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon, salt and butter; mix well.  Line bottom of 8" square baking dish with half the oatmeal mixture. 

Combine sugar and cornstarch, then add water and lemon juice.  Boil until thick, stirring constantly, then add vanilla and blueberries.  Pour over oat mixture.  Sprinkle top with remaining oat mixture and bake 40 - 45 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream. 

*If using sugar substitutes when baking, begin checking at least 15 minutes earlier than 'regular' cooking time. 



7 comments :

  1. G'day! LOVE blueberries, LOVE your photo and the crunch!
    I could have this for breakfast and for lunch!
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I LOVE blueberry desserts and I definitely don't have enough recipes for blueberries. Thanks Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum...I'd eat that for breakfast, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Love anything with blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy, and it's much lower in sugar than a regular pie so that makes it healthy in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're both thinking of blueberries, Marsha! Your recipe looks so good! I love crunchy toppings.. Mmmmm! Your plate is so pretty that you put your dessert on. I wish I could share a plate with you, with a scoop of ice cream, of course. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb this looks so yummy, I can't wait to get blueberry's here this summer. I love how you say a messof blueberries so southern

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly