Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Lightened up" Fruit Cocktail Cake

I haven't made a fruit cocktail cake in many years, and wouldn't have a clue where my recipe was. I remember making it when we were newly married and I had to be very frugal. 

So when I saw this easy recipe at The Country Cook I knew I would have to make it soon. 

I made it take to someone in need, so I only got a little bite, but it was marvelously moist.  (Yes, I had to cut a piece for the photo and it didn't all make it back into the pan...the recipient/family member surely understood.=)

I changed it up just a little bit - I cut back on the sugar amounts, and used less butter. For me, it was plenty sweet...but then we don't eat sugary dishes very often.  So feel free to adjust to your tastes and family's dietary needs. 

It's not only delicious, it's deliciously easy...as Brandie's recipes are...so hope you and your family get to enjoy this one soon.  I LOVE a moist cake like this one and also love enjoying it WARM.  OH my Fruit Cocktail!! 




"LIGHTENED UP' FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE 

2 c. self-rising flour**(see note below)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. white sugar
(or half sugar & half substitute, like xylitol)
1 (15 ozs) can fruit cocktail in lite syrup, undrained

Sauce:


6 Tb. unsalted butter

1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
(omit if you're not a coconut lover)
3/4 c. sugar (or substitute)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. (skim) evaporated milk
1 c. chopped, toasted pecans


Preheat oven to 350*. Spray 9" X 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.


In medium bowl, slightly mix all cake ingredients, except for the fruit, stirring with a wooden spoon. 
Add undrained fruit and mix. Pour batter into prepared dish. 

Bake 30 - 35 minutes (unless using sugar substitutes like Splenda that tend to bake faster - check after 20 minutes). Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  


Using a regular or meat fork, poke holes across the top of the cake. 

Then begin mixing up the sauce. 

Combine all sauce ingredients in medium pan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.  Pour the sauce evenly over the warm cake.



** Don't have any self-rising flour on hand?  Make your own (per cup) by mixing

1 c. all purpose flour
 1/2 tsp. salt and 
1 tsp. baking powder 

Linked to Weekend Potluck

8 comments :

  1. Yum...I remember making this in the early days of married life too. A timeless recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of a similar cake my Mom used to make. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made a Fruit Cocktail cake in for-ever! We always called it an Ugly Duckling Cake:) I used a yellow cake mix, bought on sale, when money was tight. I made this cake when I was first married also, many years ago:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a fruit cocktail cake but it does look so moist and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! =)
    Pinning to save!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can i get calorie count with fats fiber carbs and protien perslice as im restricted to what i can eat, im glad its a lighter version we need more lighter versions of food. Ty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fruit Cocktail Cake is new to me and your lighter version sounds so yummy!

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so good about lightening up your recipes!! I've never had fruit cocktail cake, Marsha, but it sure looks good. xo

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly