Sunday, June 2, 2013

"Skinny" Banana Cream (Pie) Smoothie

"CALLING ALL DIABETICS AND THOSE COUNTING CALORIES!"

A few years ago, I was given a cookbook for my birthday by a dear friend, Sandy, who has inspired me in the kitchen as much as my own mother has. 

I decided to pull it out of the cupboard and check out some of the yummy dishes found therein.

Sandy has a number of Dawn Hall's numerous "Very Lowfat" cookbooks, and the one I found this lovely recipe in is the "Busy People's Diabetic Cookbook". 

I am wild about smoothies anyway...especially when the temps start rising. And I loved the ease of making this banana smoothie...WITH NO BANANA!

It's made a sugar free pudding mix, so you can make it your own by using chocolate, white chocolate, cheesecake, lemon...

(You get the idea I'm sure.) 

Just add some water, skim milk, pudding mix, ice cubes, ff frozen yogurt, sweetener (I used a packet of Truvia) and vanilla...WHIR...and you're
ready to enjoy!  

Really!  It's that simple! And it's very filling and delicious too.
I didn't have frozen yogurt on hand, so I froze some of my Greek Yogurt for about half an hour, and with the added ice cubes, it was smooth, creamy and cold.

If you want to make half this amount, you can divide it easily, using about half the pkg. of instant pudding mix. Save the rest for the next time you want to make it. 



BANANA CREAM (PIE) SMOOTHIE

1 c. cold water
1 sm. (4-serv. size) box sugar free, fat free banana cream instant pudding mix
(do not make as directed on box)
20 ice cubes
1 c. skim milk
1 c. low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt
1/4 c. Splenda 
(or 1 or 2 Truvia packets)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In blender, combine water with pudding mix.  Blend on high for 20 seconds or until the pudding is completely dissolved. 

Add the ice cubes, milk, frozen yogurt, Splenda, and vanilla to the blender and cover. Process on high speed.  If needed, pulse the blender off and on, stopping in between pulses to make sure all the ice cubes are crushed and the ingredients are blended.

Once the ingredients are well blended, blend 30 seconds longer to assure a thick, smooth drink.

Pour into cups or glasses and enjoy immediately. 

Yield: 4-1/2 (1 c. servings)


Nutritional values per serving:
Calories: 80(0% fat); Total Fat: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 1 mg. Carbohydrate: 16 gr. Dietary Fiber: 0 gr.; Protein: 3 gr. Sodium: 282 mg. 



Linked to Mop it up Monday
         Scrumptious Sunday
    Weekend Potluck
         Foodie Friends Friday

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for a diabetic-friendly recipes! Blessings,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy! =)

    I want to get a blender and start making smoothies!

    Pinning to my beverage board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds sooo good, Marsha. I love that it's low cal and sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yummy! Love the sound of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing! And I love that it's diabetic friendly! Thank you for joining Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly