Sunday, June 22, 2014

Zucchini Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

When you have zucchini in abundance this summer, this would be a perfect way to enjoy it! I know we're always looking for ways to use it up. 

This was one of the first recipes I shared when I began my blog many moons ago. The recipe came from Taste of Home online.  I tweaked it a little to make it 'lighter', but one would forget they're eating vegetables while enjoying these spicy and moist cupcakes!! 

I had previously shared ToH's photo, so when I recently saw it, I thought I needed to get a photo myself.  AND...decided to make the caramel frosting into SALTED caramel frosting.  I loved it! 

I shared with several neighbors and friends and they all loved them too.  

This is a review I found at the TofH website that shares this recipe. 




Reviewed Jan. 3, 2014 

This is by far the BEST cupcake recipe out there! The frosting is the crowning glory to this moist cake. Do not hesitate to make these, only be prepared for everyone to ask you for this recipe.
          You're welcome! 



ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES WITH SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING

3 eggs
1-1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1/2 c. orange juice
1 tsp. almond extract
2-1/2 c. (all purpose or white whole wheat) flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1-1/2 c. shredded zucchini

SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING:

1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. milk
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
sea salt

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add zucchini and blend. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.

Frosting: Combine brown sugar, butter, milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt before the frosting dries. 
Yield: 1-1/2 to 2 dozen 

1 comment :

  1. Wow! I never made frosting with brown sugar before! I'm intrigued! I love zucchini bread so I'm sure I would love these cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly